Chapter 18

"Jimin wait!" you called, taking a cautious step towards the frightened boy.

He shook his head wildly with the shock of the situation unfolding in front of him.

"I-I can explain! Please! Let me explain!" you begged, watching his facial expressions carefully for any sign that he might actually think you're a monster.

Jimin took another step back, his foot catching on the top step, causing him to stumble backwards onto the deck.

He didn't move, he just looked up at you, like he didn't know you anymore.

"Jiminie please" you pleaded quietly, taking small baby steps towards the stairs.

"H-ho-" he started, shaking his head again as if to clear his thoughts, "How?"

You walked slowly up the steps, stopping just short enough so that you could sit on the stair below him.

"I will explain everything to you I promise, but it's a lot more complicated than you'd think"

You bit your lip, the gravity of the situation you were in starting to dawn on you.

Make that two people that know my secret now. Soon-ja is going to kill me...

"This can't be happening.... I'm dreaming, this is a dream right!?" Jimin asked, his whisper turning into a yell as he sat up straighter, panic seemingly flowing out of him.

You felt your heart sink, unable to muster up a deserving enough response. 

You just shook your head at him.

"N-no, it's a dream." he said stubbornly, voice a little less than convincing, "Because y-you can't be a... a mermaid. Right?"

You sighed, dropping your head, eyes tracing over the pattern carved into the old wooden stairs.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you before... you shouldn't have found out this way.." you could feel a lump starting to form in your throat, "I swear Jimin..."

You looked up, locking onto the confused gaze of the boy in front of you.

"I'm not going to hurt you."

As you said the last word a tear rolled down your cheek.

How many damn times am I going to cry today!?

"No! I- I don't think that!" Jimin half-shouted, reaching over to grab your arm.

His sudden outburst shocked you, making you whip your head down to stare at the contact you hadn't expected.

He quickly brought his hand back down to his side, as if his actions before were only a reflex.

"I'll explain everything, I promise. Please, can we just... can we go inside?" you asked quietly.

Your neighbors didn't exactly live close but you didn't want to risk adding a third person to the mix.

"I-I don't kno-"

"You're scared of me.." you inturrupted, the fear of losing Jimin taking over your emotions for the second time tonight.

"No! I'm not!" he nearly shouted.

"Then please, just come inside and we can talk."

Jimin sighed, pausing for a moment before surrendering.

He shifted his weight as if he was about to stand, pausing for another moment before getting to his feet.

Without words he offered his hand out to you, helping you up from where you had been sat on the staircase.