He gave me a dashing smile and got up hurriedly, not wanting anyone to know what was going on between us. He went into my bathroom to hide.

"Come in." I said to the person who knocked on my door.

"My Queen, forgive me for interrupting, but the chancellor was wondering if you'd meet him to discuss something."

"Discuss what?" I asked Martha.

"It's not my place my Queen but since you are asking it has something to do with scheduling the inauguration ball. To introduce you to your people if you are ready for it."

Before I could decline I heard David in my mind. 'It's important and you must do it as soon as possible. People are scared and don't understand what's happening. They need to know you are stable.'

"Alright." I told her. "Let's do the ball as soon as we can. I am not going to go to the chancellor. Tell him to call my phone if he can't wait for an official meeting in the throne room and next time he thinks about summoning me he better be ready to hand me his head on a platter. Royal protocol must be observed under all circumstances. You are dismissed. Thank you, Martha."

"My Queen" She bowed and left.

When she was gone, David came out. "The chancellor has always been a grumpy rude son of a b- he just is annoying and thinks he knows it all and doesn't need to respect anyone because knowledge is power. No doubt about that. But that old fool doesn't realize that real power is power. And knowledge is very helpful to powerful people who can do something about situations. It's supplementary to each other and nothing if it's exclusive. You dealt with this well. You just need to remain this way for people to start respecting your authority and to not challenge it. Everyone needs to be put in place if they step out of line, especially in the beginning."

I understood.

David could be useful in this dynamic shift of power because he had been groomed for centuries for the position that I now held. Strategically he was very important to me. But most importantly, he was the only thing standing between me and the destruction of mankind and vampires alike.

I was also glad about the many times I had spent in the library being groomed to be a queen when we were engaged. That knowledge was very useful now.

It felt as if time stood still but moved at the same time. The concept of time had changed ever since I had changed amongst other things. It seemed like an insignificant aspect of life.

We were again interrupted by a knock which made us realize that the official day should start with the new Queen of the empire. I couldn't stay hidden forever with the man I loved. Interesting thought for a person who couldn't feel anything.... I loved him...

My mind hopped to pondering about how life had changed for everyone, for David; no longer a crown prince, no longer an heir to the throne that he spent his entire life preparing for. For the people; their beloved Royal family replaced by another, the Prince they had spent their entire lives looking forward to no longer an heir. Would they accept the change? For the Royal family; dethroned; the truth finally revealed.

Did everyone know the deep-rooted problems between the families? How my grandfather had taken his revenge from David's family. How he had punished the son for the sins of his father?
What would happen if they did know? Would they accept my rule if they knew what had happened? Or would they submit to me because I was the rightful heir? Would they punish me for the sins of my grandfather?