Two weeks later

Disclaimer! Mine mine all mine!

Two weeks later..

Two weeks later.

I walked down the staircase which led to where the council meeting was going to take place with all my folders neatly tucked into my arms.

I went inside the empty conference room and sat in David's chair.

It felt too large for me.

I thought back to how David's absence had affected us all.

The first week was tough but in this vampire world where things were moving so fast it almost seemed like everything was normal.

The wedding preparations were back in full fledge because everyone wanted a distraction and they thought that's what David would've wanted.

Everything was falling into place after the mess everyone went through.

I took over his responsibilities because someone had to.

I was made aware of all the threats David had kept us safe from. It was difficult to adjust. I was not as fast as them.

Today's meeting was to discuss the problem of some hunters who had gotten hold of a very powerful Vampire who we were supposed to bring back at all costs.

I don't know how he did it.. i missed David's presence so much.. It's the quiet people who we miss the most because you don't realize their importance and everything they do till they're gone.

Just thinking about him brought tears to my eyes.

However, this was not the time to show weakness. Especially to these people who questioned my every move. Because what right did I have to sit on David's throne? What had I done to deserve this? And most importantly because I had been the reason why he wasn't here.

James should've been here to deal with this, but like I said everyone was doing what they could to cope. Lindsay was going crazy with the wedding preps, I didn't even know what Keisha was up to and James had subjected himself to isolation. I had urged him to do what I was doing, I told him I couldn't and didn't have enough experience, I told him no one would want me to do it and I even told him to ask King Edward to do it. He had years of experience over me.

All he said in return was that it's what David would have wanted. Surprisingly, King Edward in his grief did not have a contrary opinion.

How was I supposed to tell them that I was dying and I would die soon? I hadn't been feeling well, in fact I was worse than before and Mike had been too lost to try to figure out what was wrong with me. And this time I had finally accepted it. This life was not worth living like this, this life without David was no life at all.

So I didn't want this, I knew throne transition is not something to take lightly and for stability and betterment of the country it can't keep shifting hands.

But everyone was too overburdened to share another one so it had to be me.

I waited patiently as they all assembled before me- taking to each other as if they had not seen me.

Unlike how it used to be with David i.e. when everyone used to show up on time and remain silent in his presence, everyone preferred now to take their sweet time and make me wait.

"I will not tolerate this bullshit." I said so quietly that everyone was taken aback.

After a moment of silence they continued talking which pissed me off. It was time to show them the fierce side of me that David knew and loved.

I brought my hand down on the table with force which shook it and emitted a loud band while I stood up at full height. "Silence! I will not tolerate this. The next person to speak out of line will spend a night in the dungeon. Guards!? Close the door. Anyone who does not show up on time and show respect will not be part of this council." My voice echoed with such force that no one dared to speak after that.

I must say I can be very dominating if I want to be.

Safe to say no one said anything after that.

It turns out the guy that is vital to vampire society is the same guy who bit me and who's men fed off of me.

I was beyond angry!

If it wasn't for what he did to me.. if it wasn't for him... David would be standing here. I did blame myself for calling him. For being selfish to live just a few more days but now I had realized that those few days without him were meaningless.

I explored the option of leaving him there because if anyone deserved to die it was him but unfortunately he had some information that was very important.

So we used and picked the brains of some of the most intelligent people on the council and hatched a plan to save him.

We devised a plan that was risky but the only plausible one. That vampire named Charlie had really gotten himself in a mess. His abductors were close allies to the hunters. We had to act quickly before the hunters got a hold of him because he had a lot of information. We could let them have the information Daniel would provide because he had only been here for a week and wouldn't know as much as centuries old vampire could tell them. We would be exposed if Charlie remained there because he would know everything and eventually everyone cracks. Sooner or later they all spill. Once this Charlie problem would be fixed I wanted the council to divert their attention towards extracting Daniel and what better way than to make Charlie tell us all he learned in the past day or so.

The lives of my men were worth more to me than Charlie's so I remained anxious throughout the execution of the plan. I don't know how David did this. People could die but I had to give it to him. He had trained his men really well. They all returned with Charlie with zero casualties.

When he came back the grin on his face vanished when he saw my face. "You..."

"Yes. Me." I said harshly.

"You saved my life.. Even though I..." he said astonished.

"Yes. I saved your life but you will suffer for what you did. Guards arrest him for treason." I turned back to him one more time "And remember my mercy to you. I let you live while David would never have given it a second though. I suggest you corporate with my men and give them the information they require."

I walked away with a heavy heart. I wish I could've killed him slowly and painfully but I felt the weight of my duty rest heavily on my shoulders. Now I knew what David felt and my respect for him grew if that was even possible.

Suddenly I heard lots of excitement as I made my way to the main castle. I wonder what had happened to lift the spirits of everyone in the castle which had been gloomy for the past two weeks.

Although excitement buzzed around me I just could feel it anymore. I felt dead from inside because I blamed myself for everything bad that ever happened. I blamed myself for what happened to David.

-Z :(

I won't say anything but maybe I'll post a spoiler on my fb page ;)

If you haven't done it then like my facebook page, the link is on my profile! It will keep you updated on the status of this book among other things.