Trying Not To Love You (20)

A whole month flew by with my annoying conscience always at the back of my head. It seems like it always wanted to remind me that there was a possible chance that I might lose this bet with Hayden. Does it know that I'm capable of remembering things and doesn't need to reminded every time I see Hayden?

I've been staying at Hayden's more frequently. The thing that scares me is that I'm not sure if I'm doing this for Quinn, or for Hayden. It seems like I've been spending more time with him than I have been with my baby girl.

Okay, I admit to the fact that I am somewhat in a process for falling for Hayden, although I'm not quite there. I swear that this bet is tougher than it seems. It was easier said than done, well on my part, at least. I don't know about him.

But the thing that scared me the most is what was going to happen in the end. What if I do end up falling for Hayden? Will he feel the same way? Or will he just leave me? As much as I didn't want to think of it, I knew that it was going to be the second option. I mean, what kind of guy makes a bet and stays with the girl afterwards? It's just a bunch of bullshit that gets our hopes up for nothing.

I just know that I have to work harder in the bet, that's all. Maybe I'll get at least a tiny bit of Hayden's feelings and that will somewhat convince him to stay with me. I thought that over again. Nah, sounds to cliché, doesn't it?

To add on to all of that, I still need to tell him Quinn's my baby girl. Even if I end up losing the bet, I at least want to have some honesty in our relationship. I guess a friendship is all Hayden and I would have to live with.

The loud ringing of the overhead bell snapped me out of my train of thoughts. I grabbed my school bag and stood up out of my desk, smoothening out the skirt that I suddenly had the urge to wear and made my way towards the parking lot. I scanned the lot for Hayden's familiar looking car.

When I finally spotted it, I walked at a fast pace. My eyes were kept on Hayden to make sure he wouldn't leave without me. Although he probably won't, since he was still in the process of dumping his school bag in the back seat.

As I came closer, I slowed down and took some time to admire him. I mean, you couldn't blame me for almost falling for him, would you? He genuinely cares about me and his family, knows how to tease me without making me pissed, and knows where the line is drawn so he wouldn't earn any tears from me again. Who wouldn't want a guy like Hayden?

Now that I thought about it, any girl could want Hayden. Even the girl I needed to fight with in order to get her to leave him alone. Maybe it would be best if I just stopped and tried to stop falling for him instead of letting everything fall into place. That would save some tears, right? Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

Maybe they'll leave happy tears, as if I actually had a happy ever after... Where the hell are these thoughts coming from?

"Avery, watch ou-!"

Suddenly, my knees hit a hard metal, causing me to lose my balance. I expected to meet the hard gravel, but instead my cheek hit a cold, hard material that was similar to the one that came in contact with my knees.

I could hear a few chuckles and wolf whistles behind me, but that's probably due to the fact that I was bent over and my rear was on a view for everyone behind me.

Strong arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me up-right onto my feet. I knew it was Hayden by the comfortable feeling I got inside me of me, although I didn't want to show it. He fixed my skirt like a gentleman would, and then lead me to the passenger side of the car.