Trying Not To Love You (1)

*~Present~*

                I step back and place my hands on my hips, admiring the painting I did on one of the brick walls in the murky alleys. The moon shone against the brick wall, making my art work even brighter and better. I chuckle and blow the nozzle of the spray can, feeling that giddy feeling in my stomach at my accomplishment. I have to say that this was one of my bests.

                I have to admit, I never imagined myself doing all these things that would get me in juvenile, but if it meant getting my mind of Quinn I'm up for the chance. Ever since I gave her up for adoption, everything that would remind me of her would put me on the verge of tears. But I never let any of them fall. It’s only a one time thing when I cry, and that was at the adoption center when I had my last moment with her.

                The ally smelled of alcohol and burnt cigarettes, including mine that was laced in between my two pale fingers that had nails painted pitch black. I take a deep breath of my cigarette as I add more spray paint to the brick wall, trying to make the paint shinier against the moonlight. Finally, I completed my graffiti painting of the curse word fuck.

                "Hey!" I hear a deep, harsh voice yell. It came from a distance, possibly at the entrance of the unsanitary ally.

                My head snaps towards the source of the sound, coming face to face with an angry looking cop. He looks like he’s ready to tackle me any minute now, judging by the rigidness of his body. His shoulders were broad and his fists were clenched.

                Spinning on my heel, I turn the opposite direction and start running, hearing the footsteps of the cop nearing me. My cigarette drops into one of the dirt-filled puddles, making the lighted part fizz out and the cigarette dead.

                "Hey!" the cop yells again, but much more loudly this time. Shit! He’s probably on my tail by now. It’s like I could feel his unwanted presence behind me.

                I run faster, faster than I ever have in my whole life. I know that my mom would kill me if she ever discovered that I had been arrested. Again. My boots land in a puddle as I run, splashing all over my jeans and making them damp. Great, another thing that would unable me to run the fastest that I have ever been!

                Finally discovering an exit, I smile in victory. Slowly glancing over my hunched shoulders, I check if the cop was still behind me. Noticing that there was none in sight, I dash out of the alley. While I was on my victory, my hopes were instantly brought down.

                The bright blue and red lights shine before my eyes. They were so bright that I had to hover one of my hands over my eyes to notice that active cop car in front of me.

                “Shit.” I mutter under my breath. I really thought that I was going to make my way out of it this time! Spinning on my heel, I try to make another run for it, but the cop is already there with a stern look on his face. His hand was about to reach for the gun attached to his belt, but he decided against it once he saw that I was only a teenager.