Starting to Forget

Eric's POV

As we took another pit stop, I found myself leaning against the car door, rubbing my forehead as another wave of pain shot through my temple, refusing to dissipate. I knew that something was wrong with me, I've been getting these headaches more and more and they seem to grow worse whenever I thought about Markus . . . but why? What did he do to me? I wince as an even worse sharp flash of pain shoots through my skull and I pushed away my thoughts of him and as soon as I did, the pain went away enough for me to think. Swallowing nervously, I forced myself to concentrate on Markus again . . . in spite of the pain I need to know why things changed all of a sudden. First, he refuses to be away from me for a single moment to the point where he would force me to stay by his side every night, his arms wrapped around me as if he was afraid someone would take me away from him and now he's ignoring me and disappearing for hours and when he returns, he's always in his wolf form, refusing to acknowledge me. I don't understand, he was the one that wanted us to be together, so why is he pushing me away now? Did I do something wrong? Did I . . . a whine catches my attention and I managed to push all thoughts of Markus and his lies to the back of my mind and opened the car door, determined to focus on my adorable pups. Lifting up my whimpering baby, I let my eyes drift over the others, a small sad smile crossing my lips . . .  each one, except our youngest is a spitting image of their sire, as if the Moon Goddess was mocking me. I stiffened when I heard footsteps behind me and recognizing his scent, tightening my hold on my pup and refusing to acknowledge him, I don't want to see him in his wolf form; mocking me as if I'm not good enough for him to communicate with.

"Eric."

A gasp of surprise escapes me and I turned to see Markus standing behind me in his human form for the first time in the several days we had been on the road.

"Why now?"

"Eric, I can_____________."

"Why are you doing this to me? You've been lying to me all along, haven't you? Every time you told me you loved me, every time you made me fall in love with you all over again, the whole time you were planning to leave me . . . why didn't you abandon me sooner instead of breaking my heart like this? What kind of sick game were you playing with me?"

"I'm not playing a game with you, I love you Eric, more than you will ever know and that is why I have to let you go. That's why you have to forget me before you suffer even more."

A cold chill went through me as the Moon Goddess's words came back to me . . . if I let Markus leave my side would I end up losing my life? Would my pups lose theirs? I pushed the fear aside, letting anger take over me once again and as Markus came closer to me, I held up my hand; stooping him in his tracks.

"Stay away from me . . . don't ever approach me again, Markus. My mother and I will care for the pups and look out for each other. I want nor need anything from you."

Without waiting for him to reply I walked away, struggling to ignore the burning sensation in my eyes. He had done this to me. He made me weak, afraid to trust in my own decisions and stolen my memories of the life I had before him. I want to hate him, but I can already feel myself wavering, my body just wanting to seek him out and feel his arms wrapped around it.

"It's okay baby. Everything's going to be alright."

My mom pulled me into his arms, just as my tears started to fall and I could hear him humming softly. I could feel myself slowly calming down and the pain fading away until my mind was clear enough to focus and a bitter laugh escaped from me. My mom looked at me confused, but didn't say anything, waiting patiently for my explanation.

"He said he would never leave me, made me depend on him and now he just wants to abandon me?! Now he's playing the martyr?! What about our pups?! Am I just supposed to raise them on my own?! Am I just supposed to be okay with the fact that he's shattering my heart?! I don't want this! I want hate him so much . . . why can't I hate him?!"

My mom smiled sadly, gently stroking my head. 

"It's not that easy baby. He's makes you feel safe and desired and you're afraid to lose that. You're afraid to have to turn away from what you're used to and face the unknown . . . I understand how hard it is to leave behind your safety net and to face the world, but you're not alone . . .  I'm right by your side."

Lifting my head, I looked into my mom's eyes and saw the same pain and fear I felt reflected back at me. He smiled at me gently and released me, stepping back slightly.

"Son, let me take you away from here."

"Where . . . Where would we go?"

"To my pack. You will be able to meet your . . . our family."

I nodded and dropped my gaze, suddenly feeling more tired than I have felt in a long time. Hopefully I wouldn't have to suffer for long, after all I'll be dead soon. I felt mom lifting my chin and studying my face before a sad sigh left his lips and he pulled me into another quick hug before pulling me to the passenger side of the car and opening the door. Silently I sat in the seat and closed my eyes for a few minutes as my mom carefully took my now softly snoring pup and placed him in the basket with his sleeping siblings, before turning around and starting the engine.

"Buckle your seatbelt."

Without opening my eyes I clicked the belt into place across my shoulders and lap as the car moved forward. My mom started to hum again and I felt myself slowly slipping into sleep.

(Dreamscape)

"Forget me! You have to forget me Eric it's for the best!"

I shivered at the coldness in Markus's voice and tried to make my way over to him, to beg him to let me stay with him, bur my legs refused to move.

"I don't want you anymore! You're worthless to me!"

"Please don't abandon me . . . p-please don't leave me alone . . . I love you!"

I shudder when Markus drops to his knees before me, lifting my chin and forcing myself to look into his eyes and the mockery in his gaze makes me flinch.

"Love? What do you know about love? I say a few sweet words and you fall into my bed? You're so pathetic."

"Please, why are you doing this to me?"

Ignoring my question, he smirked cruelly his fingertips brushing across my face in the pretense of a tender caress.

"Even if you love me, what makes you think I love you? What makes you think I ever loved you?"

"No, you . . . I ___________!"

11Before i can finish my sentence a pain so sharp it drops me to my shoots through my head and a soundless scream escapes my lips.

"Good, now you'll finally leave me alone and i can have some peace."

Everything turned dark and the last thing i saw before I lost consciousness was Markus walking away from me as if I no longer mattered to him.

(Dreamscape ends)

My eyes snapped open as a howl rent the air and I heard my mom muttering something under his breath nervously, before glancing at me briefly before shifting his focus back to the road.

"Do you feel the pull, baby?"

I didn't answer and mom gently pressed the breaks pulling over to the side of the road to give me his full attention, concern filling his face from whatever he saw in my gaze before he gulped and tried again as I stared at him blankly.

"Is Markus trying to communicate with you?"

"Markus? Who's Markus?"