When Trapped In The Darkness

Nicholas's pov

I hurried to my mate, forgetting the boy who dared to challenge me. I would deal with him later anyway. The closer I got to our room, the louder the sound of whimpering became and a feeling of dread slowly filled me. Finally the door was in view and I gently pushed it open, not wanting to cause my mate any more stress.

"Jaime?"

No answer. I tried again.

"Jaime, answer me . . . tell me what's wrong."

Still nothing. Was he hurt or worse dead? Finally my concern for my mate outweighed my caution and I burst into the room, freezing instantly at the sight in front of me, Jaime sitting frozen and mute; surrounded by pups and clutching an unresponsive pup to his chest. I shook away my surprise, making my way over to the bed and Jaime's eyes suddenly focused on me, cold and accusing.

"You did this."

I shook my head in denial, reaching out a hand to touch him, but he backed away until his back hit the bedpost. I stopped where I was, letting my hands drop to my sides and closing my eyes as a mixture of anger and sorrow filled me.

"Do you truly believe that I wanted this?"

"You sent them . . . him after me and now our . . . my pup is dead. You twisted my love for you to fulfill your own selfish desires . . . we betrayed the moon goddess and this is our punishment."

"This isn't a punishment from the moon goddess, Jaime, our pup lost its life because you decided to turn your back on your pack and aid our enemy. Because you decided to rush to his side an innocent was lost.

"No, that's__________!"

I continued on as if he hadn't spoken, knowing my next words would crush any defiance dwelling inside of him.

"I realize now that you can't be trusted by this pack or with it's future."

"W-What?"

"I've decided that our pups will be taken away from you and given to someone I can trust."

"N-No."

You have no say in this . I will not have my pups turned against me . . . I love you more than you'll ever know, but that doesn't mean I'll let you continue to push me."

"Please, don't do this . . . what do you want from me?!"

"Your obedience. When you decide that you're ready to obey my orders without question, I'll give you the chance to earn the right to care for our pups, first you'll get to visit them. When I decide that you've submitted to me completely, I'll give them back to you . . . now what is your decision?"

"I hate you."

Do you think it's a smart idea to insult me? Should I call someone right now and have them collect the pups?"

"No! I-I'll do whatever you say, please don't take my pups from me!"

"Nice try, unfortunately your words just aren't good enough anymore, I want to see real proof of your loyalty to me. When you can do that you'll get the pups back."

Jaime jumped off the bed, gathering the pups in his arms and moving into a corner of the room. I stepped closer to him and he let out a warning growl.

"Give them to me, Jaime."

"You're not taking my pups!"

"Then I'll lock them in this room with you and let you watch them starve to death."

"Then just kill us now. If my pups die I'll make sure that I join them."

Realizing we'd reached a stalemate, I offered Jaime the one thing I knew would gain his surrender.