Tested To The Limit

Jamie's pov

I listen in as they talk, Nicholas and the man that wants to steal my pup. How dare he invite him here?! How dare they discuss my pup like he's a piece of property?! I hurry back to my room, locking the door and placing one of the desk chairs under the knob. I know it won't keep them out for long, but it will give me time to put the desperate and dangerous plan I've been working on for the past few weeks into practice. I take out a piece of paper and quickly write down my feelings, all of my anger, hurt, and betrayal pour out with my words and pretty soon the ink is smeared with the tears sliding down my cheeks. Standing, I make my way over to the closet, grabbing the two bottles I'd been hiding there and return to my seat, studying them. One is a bottle of sleeping pills I stole from the pack doctor during Desmond's checkup a few weeks ago and the other is a bottle of vodka I somehow managed to convince Nicholas to let me have after my regular visit to his room yesterday. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath to steel myself and waited until I heard footsteps coming down the hall, swallowing two handfuls of the pills and draining the bottle of alcohol before calmly waiting for the mixture to take effect.

"Open the door, Luna, Alpha Timothy wants to see the Omega before he takes it."

I'm usually terrified at the sound of Quinn's voice, but this time, I feel completely numb as I listen to him twisting the knob. He slams against the door as a wave of nausea hits me and I clutch my stomach, fighting to keep the pills down. Quinn continues to throw his full weight against the door, but it sounds farther and farther away from me as I start to feel lightheaded. I lose my balance and with a shaky hand, I grab the letter right before I fall from the chair. The door final lly gives way and Quinn catches me before I hit the ground.

"What did you do?!"

My mouth opens and closes, but no sound comes out and I struggle to escape Quinn's hold.

"Don't move you idiot!"

Quinn quickly races out of the room with me just as my eyes slip closed and everything goes black.

My eyes flew open and I found a beautiful woman standing over me, staring down at me with the saddest expression I've ever seen.

"Why? Jamie why did you do this?"

"W-Who are you?"

"That's not important, you could have killed yourself!"

"Maybe . . . Maybe it would be better that way. I have noone to turn to, noone that cares about me. I want to be free. "

The woman's sad expression became angry at my words and I had to force myself not to flinch away from her.

"And what would be the cost of your freedom? Who do you think will be left to suffer in your place? Just who do you think is going to  be blamed?"

My eyes widened in sudden terrible comprehension.

"Desmond."

"That's right, if you give up, the pup you're trying so hard to protect will take your place."

"Why? Why won't the Moon Goddess do something to stop all this suffering? If she's such a kind and loving mother, why is she allowing all of this to happen?!"

"The Moon Goddess can only set her children on their path, it's up to them to follow it. If they decide on a whim to alter their destiny then she has to stand back and watch how it plays out." 

"Then it doesn't matter to her that I've been raped and tortured by my own sire? That I was forced to bear and be separated from his pups?! I . . . I'm only thirteen years old, I'm barely a pup myself and now__________."