A Mother's Strength

Eric's pov

Everything was silent and it made me uneasy.  I couldn't open my eyes and when I tried to move, my arms or legs wouldn't cooperate.

"Markus, where are you? What's going on?"

Nothing. I held in a whimper of fear, knowing for sure that something was wrong. Why did he strap me down? Why couldn't I hear our pups . . . did something happen to them? No, he promised me that he would make sure they were okay. Then . . . is something wrong with me?

'E-Emmett, what's happening?"

Emmett didn't reply and I couldn't feel our link.

"Please, I don't want to be alone!"

No reply . . . I could feel a single tear slip down my cheek  and then:

" . . . ric. Eric, wake up."

My eyes flew open and I gave a loud gasp . . . I was floating in the air, looking down on my body that lay motionless on the table. Blood dripped down the sides as Markus wrapped thick bandages around my expertly stitched stomach to keep the precious liquid inside of me and covered my me with a blanket to keep me from losing any more heat. Realizing that he'd done all he could, Markus sat beside my bed, gently stroking my face as he waited vainly for Emmett to heal me.

"Please, Eric, I kept my promise our pups are all here and waiting for you, so wake up and open your eyes."

Our pups. I looked around the room until I spotted a small basket with a thick blanket inside which held seven sleeping pups and my heart broke. I was dead . . . I had died delivering our pups and now I wouldn't be able to watch them grow up.

"That's not true, my child. I will give you a chance to survive but that depends on the cost you're willing to pay."

I turned to see a beautiful woman standing beside me, watching the scene in front of us sadly.

"Who are you? Do you know what's going on?"

Without facing me, the woman glanced my way and I had to force myself not to back away as glowing golden eyes burned into mine.

"Who I am is unimportant and yes, I do know what's going on . . . you are not dead, but you are dying."

"But how . . . why?"

"Markus kept his promise to you, child. He brought each of your pups into this world alive and well, but there was too much blood and he wasn't able to stop it. He won't give up, unfortunately it won't do any good."

I swallowed heavily, something inside making me dread my next question.

"And Emmett?"

"He wants to save you, but he used most of his strength just keeping you and the pups alive for the birth . . . he is doing his best to heal you, but I'm afraid he's just not strong enough."

"So there's nothing anyone can do?"

"Like I said, there is a chance, but the cost may be too high. Are you willing to pay?"

"Please, I'll do anything."

"Even if I tell you that you can never leave this place, that you have to submit to Markus no matter how cruel he becomes or how many times your heart gets broken?"

I swallowed, remembering Emmett's plans for us to escape. Nodding, I lowered my head in defeat . . . I would do anything to be with my pups.

"Yes."

The woman closed her eyes and I knew she was talking to Emmett. I heard a whimper in my head, the first sound I'd heard from him and I wondered what he had to promise the woman.