Chapter 22- The Mystery

In retrospect, Shoto knew he should've seen the signs. The green haired boy, once filled with light slowly began to change all those years ago. It was odd, but Todoroki wrote it off as just maturing, when they were 15. After all, could someone really stay so positive all the time?

Slowly Izuku Midoriya began smiling less and less and becoming quiet in class. A lot of times, he'd blow off his friends to do 'other things'.

~~~

*Flashback to UA first year*

"Ay Midoriya! Wanna hang out? Me and some others were gonna head to an arcade in town!" Denki Kaminari said with gleaming excitement.

Midoriya's head shot up form his notebook and he looked panicked. "Oh um-uh-yeah I'd love to but... No. I-I'm sorry." He bowed his head. "I have plans."

The Yellow haired boys face fell. "Oh well... Maybe next time?"

"Yeah, For sure!" Izuku said awkwardly

***

(Another time)

As the students walked out of class Uraraka bounded up to her friend. "Hey Deku! Me and Iida were going to have a study session for the test tomorrow! Wanna come?" Ochaco placed a hand on Izuku's shoulder making him flinch. She jerked her hand away and Midoriya apologized and told her he couldn't come.

"It's just that... I have to help my mom with something tonight so I'm heading home for the night. Yeah. Maybe another time." And then he walked away leaving the girl standing there in pure disappointment. 

***

(One more)

All might stopped the green haired boy, who was walking down the sidewalk and out of the school yard. "Young Midoriya! How about we train a bit today-"

"Can't." He made a face and then he pushed past his mentor and quickly walked away and out of the school grounds.

The grown man blinked in surprise. Never before had the boy been so quick to avoid an opportunity to harness his quirk...

~~~

*Present*

To Todoroki, it had merely been him being busy. I mean, they were training heroes, right? It was only natural to have other things to do, but it was totally unlike him to blow off all might (Todo had heard All Might and Aizawa talking about it).

Then he vanished into thin air, without a trace. Gone.

They had the entire school on lock down, heroes, and officers alike searching and searching. They found nothing. No trace, except for one thing...

A letter left by the boy himself. About a week after him disappearing there was a letter found in his old bedroom by his mother. The letter had been a threat from the boy himself.

Todoroki never had known what was inside the letter, it was kept confidential. At the time, it had been a big deal, The last words of Izuku Midoriya and he didn't get to have them. He had been so angry, practically begging the police to let him see it. Asking his dad too, who also refused to say a word about the subject.

His grades began slipping as he himself tried for so long to solve the mystery. He kept at it for a solid 5 months on his own. He didn't have a single lead or clue. The case was dead.

Adn yet...

The answer had been slapping him in the face all along. Izuku wasn't taken. He went missing on purpose. A vanishing act, It had taken him THIS long to figure it out, but now everything fell right into place, starting with their last fight...