Chapter 13: Motown 25: Yesterday, Today, and Forever

It was March 25, 1983.The big Motown anniversary celebration. Michael and I showed up side by side hand in hand. Which wasn't anything knew to anyone. They were very well aware of our relationship, Some knes about what was written in magazines and newspapers, which was absolutely false, others knew the real story, either way they knew we are dating. Michael and spoke with people telling them about our New albums, only separating for a few minutes then we back by each other sides again, Ill have to admit we did look pretty cute together. 

After socializing with other celebrities and close friends Michael and I took our seats in the wings and began to watch the show. As Diana and the Supremes performed there old songs and Diana did a solo performance. "She looks great out there, doesn't she?" 

I smiled and nodded my head."She does." I whispered back. 

The show went on amazingly, my favorites was Marvin Gaye,Smokey Robinson, a.d of course Stevie Wonder. After there performances the crowd was already worked up for what was going to be the best show of the night. Michael and his brother had finally took the stage everyone applauded as the funky beat of I Want You Back. Jermain was back in his old position, smiling as he danced along with his brother. The crowd cheered like crazy as soon as they started playing the love you save which ill have to admit is one of my favorite. Randy joined them for the act. Then they performed I'll be there, the spotlight was now just kn Michael and Jermain. Jermain seem to have gotten emotional as he sung along with his brother. It brought tears to my eyes. When they finished I stood up and.clapped my hands. It was really good to see them together again. 

After hugs all around the spotlight was now on Michael. It caught a glint of his black sequined jacket. And his silver sequined shift and of course his sequined glove and the socks. His fans cheered his name over and over again.As he started talking about the old times and the old music that he loved. He paced the stage as he spoke, the crowd going wild at the sound of it. I realized head making his way to the side of the stage to get his black fedora that he used for his performances. He made his way to the Center of the stage facing the audience. He then said that he also liked the New songs, and crowd went crazy. They immediately started asking for Billie Jean. 

As the funk-infused guitar riff of Billie Jean began, Michael went into his routine, that he had been working on for weeks. The routine that he wouldn't let me see because it was suppose to surprise everyone, and knock them off their feet. As the music plasters, he jammed his black fedora over his eyes and struck a pose, his right hand on his hat, his left leg bent and poised for action. During the performance he did dance moves that I've seen him do before when I would sit down and watch him dance in the studio. But then in the middle of the song where the funky instrumental played. Michael threw his hat to the side with a graceful flourish, the audience went wild. Then he did something I never saw him do before ever. He commenced with a series of split-second locking moves and poses before he started gliding across the stage. Insatiable there with my mouth dropped, my eyes wide. I snapped it shut as soon as I realize it. It looked as if he was heading toward and going backwards at the same time. He went into a tornado spin and landed in his toes immediately. Susanne, Keisha and I jumped up all at the same time and began clapping and cheering. 

When it was over he bowed and said thankful to everyone. By that time I was suppose to have been on my way back stage getting ready for my performance that was was only two more performances after. But I was in shock. Michael had stolen show and it wasn't even over with yet. I couldn't believe it. 

When I was backstage everyone was asking me question about Michael's performances I was just as clueless as they was. I didn't know whY that amazing dance move or how he did it just knew that it was the best performance I had ever seen