8. Rotten Luck

A month passed and Clarke still felt uneasy living at the Blake residence. Since her conversation with Bellamy, the two had barely spoken a word to each other. The only interaction she had with the older Blake sibling was a simple nod when they passed each other in the hall. Clarke stayed clear of Bellamy, just as Bellamy avoided contact with Clarke. It wasn't awkward per say, they just simply felt more comfortable not being near each other. Bellamy was out late most nights, meaning he missed meal times and Clarke was up and left for work before Bellamy even woke up.

And while this new found way of living with each other suited them both, Clarke still felt like she should move on. It didn't feel like home to her. She wasn't sure anywhere would feel like home again, but she had to at least try.

It wasn't until two weeks before Octavia's birthday the two had their first proper conversation alone. Clarke plucked up all the courage she had one Sunday morning and knocked on Bellamy's bedroom door. After a few minutes the door swung open, revealing a shirtless Bellamy.

"What?" Bellamy said gruffly as he stood in the doorway.

Clarke suddenly felt her pulse quicken and only hoped her cheeks hadn't sold her out by turning red.

"Sorry if I woke you." Clarke mumbled.

"You didn't." Bellamy replied bluntly.

"Oh, good." Clarke suddenly trailed off. It was as if her brain had forgotten how to comprehend a full sentence. Unwillingly, her eyes drifted down to his toned chest and defined muscles.

Bellamy eyed her suspiciously, clearly annoyed at Clarke's sudden intrusion. "Did you want something?"

Clarke's eyes snapped up quickly.

"Yes! I wanted to talk to you about Octavia's birthday." Clarke said rapidly. She mentally cursed herself for letting her mind wander.

"What about it?" Bellamy asked, leaning on the door frame.

"Well I was thinking of throwing her a surprise party? Maybe invite a few of her friends over and you could even meet Lincoln properly?" Clarke suggested.

"No. I don't want strangers in my house." Bellamy shot her down.

But Clarke was prepared for his rejection. "We don't have to have it here. We could rent out the bar, my friend works there, she could get it cheap for us."

"Does she really need a party?" Bellamy groaned.

"Well no, but if it wasn't for her I'd be homeless. After everything she's done for me it's the least I could do." Clarke said.

"Let's not forget who owns the other half of this house." Bellamy cocked an eyebrow.

"I'm not. But she's my best friend and I'd like to throw her a party." Clarke said determinedly.

"So throw her a party, why do you need me?" Bellamy asked.

"Because you're her brother. You know what kind of things she'd like, who to invite." Clarke sighed.

"You just said you're her best friend, you should know all this stuff." Bellamy smirked.

"Will you help me or not? You don't have to pay for anything, I'll handle that. But as much as it pains me to say it, I could use your help." Clarke said bitterly.

"Relax princess. I'll help." Bellamy smiled. Clarke wasn't sure if the smile was genuine or not, but it was the most she'd ever received from him.

"Thank you. Sorry to take up your time." Clarke nodded before turning and walking into her own room.

Bellamy watched her walk into the room opposite his own and smirked to himself. He'd just agreed to help Clarke plan a surprise party for Octavia. Couldn't be that hard could it?