6. Connections.

Clarke straightened out her shirt as she looked in the mirror by the front door. She had reluctantly agreed to double date with Octavia. She still refused to spy for Bellamy, angering him more. But Clarke was beginning to realise she couldn't run away from men forever. Not all males were hellbent on destroying her life, even if the history had a confusing, messed up way of saying so. She was so lost in her own thoughts, Clarke didn't hear Bellamy come down the stairs.

Bellamy stopped and looked at Clarke, simply watching her. She fiddled with her necklace and Bellamy wondered why she was so skittish. Sure she was annoying as hell and he couldn't wait for the day she left, but he couldn't deny she was an attractive woman. He watched Clarke pull a small photo out of her purse and run her fingertips across it. Bellamy was unable to see who was in the photo, but whoever it was obviously held significant meaning to Clarke, judging by the way her fingers gripped the glossy paper tighter and her shoulders tensed.

"You guys still here?" Bellamy said, making Clarke jump. In her shocked state, Clarke dropped the photo, causing it to land between the two of them. Bellamy reached down and picked it up.

"I'm waiting for Octavia." Clarke said quietly. She watched Bellamy silently.

Bellamy looked at the photo before handing it back. In the photo was Clarke, smiling but seemingly not happy, with another young male. Bellamy could tell the smile was forced. He wasn't sure why since he didn't take much interest in Clarke or her features, but he'd seen her smile. Not at him, but when she was with her friends annoying the hell out of Bellamy. When the smile reached her eyes and caused a tiny twinkle in her blue orbs.

"Thanks." Clarke whispered as she took the photo from him.

"Looks like it means a lot to you." Bellamy shrugged, immediately regretting his choice of words.

"Yes and no." Clarke replied. "It's a long story."

"Yeah well, I'm sure one of your friends will be glad to hear the story." Bellamy rolled his eyes. He didn't want to give Clarke the impression that he actually cared about her past. He began to turn away when Clarke's voice stopped him.

"What did I ever do to you? Why do you hate me so much?" Clarke asked abruptly.

Bellamy turned around to face her. The truth was he didn't know why he hated Clarke so much. Technically she hadn't done anything to him. But Bellamy wasn't the kind of person to open up and accept strangers into his life. He didn't know anything about Clarke and he didn't want to. As far as he was concerned, Clarke was just someone to pay rent and bills.

"You're a stranger, I don't like strangers meddling in my life." Bellamy shrugged. Pretty pathetic excuse but he didn't have to explain himself to her.

"Did you ever stop to think that I might be a nice person? Did you even consider what it might be like to get to know me? I have enough demons in my life without you making my everyday life so hard!" Clarke exclaimed hotly.

"We all have demons princess, some of us just handle them better than others." Bellamy said darkly before turning away and leaving her alone.

Clarke was speechless. It may have been the deepest and longest conversation she'd ever had with Bellamy, yet all it left her with was more questions. What demons could he possibly have? He had a great home, loving sister, plenty of friends and a decent job that paid well, so she'd heard.

She shook off any further thoughts of her housemate and finished getting ready. Octavia had promised her a fun evening with a fun date. How bad could it be?

~~~~

As it turned out, the double date wasn't bad at all. Octavia had kept her promise and Clarke found herself enjoying the company of her date.