29. Awake and Alive.

Awake and Alive - Skillet

"Bellamy?"

The word was more like two muffled syllables, but Bellamy just knew Clarke was trying to say his name. She was calling out for him. Her eyes remained closed, but her hand slowly lifted to her face. Bellamy watched as Clarke's eyes fluttered, fighting to open.

"You're okay, Clarke. I'm here." Bellamy said, grabbing her hand. But Clarke pulled away.

Her eyes were now open, wide and full of panic. Clarke reached up to the tube in her mouth, hands frantically trying to remove the breathing apparatus. Bellamy grabbed her hands, pulling them away and leant over her.

"Clarke! Princess, look at me!" Bellamy said, loud enough to grab her attention. Clarke's eyes flicked up to him, and her breathing calmed. "You're okay, Princess. You need to keep the tube in. Just relax."

Clarke breathed a sigh of relief and nodded her head. Bellamy ran a tender hand over her head, stroking her hair. He pressed a kiss to her forehead.

"I'll go get the doctor." Octavia said, hurrying out the room.

Bellamy nodded, but he couldn't take his eyes off Clarke. He pressed another kiss to her forehead. Clarke leant into his touch, closing her eyes.

"Don't ever scare me like that again." Bellamy whispered.

Clarke looked up at him and ran a hand down his cheek. Her eyes began to fill with tears.

"Hey, don't cry. It's all gonna be fine, Princess." Bellamy smiled softly.

Clarke nodded her head. Suddenly, the door opened, and a team of doctors and nurses rushed in. Bellamy took a step back, allowing the staff to get to Clarke.

"Good to see you awake, Miss Griffin." One of the doctors smiled. Clarke could only nod her head.

"Alright, Clarke, we're going to take the tube out now. This might be uncomfortable." A nurse said.

Again, Clarke nodded her head. Bellamy watched silently as two nurses placed themselves either side of Clarke. The nurse on her left pulled out a stethoscope, while the nurse on the right tried to carefully move Clarke forward. Clarke's face scrunched in pain, and Bellamy fought against every instinct to run to her. The doctor stepped up to the bed and slowly began to remove the oxygen tube while the nurse ran the stethoscope across her back.

Seeing Clarke in such discomfort was heartbreaking for Bellamy, but even he sighed in relief when Clarke was finally free of the tube and handed a cup of water. Clarke took a long drink before she handed the cup back to the nurse.

"Thank you." Clarke croaked.

The two nurses left the room while the doctor flipped pages on his clipboard. He clicked his pen before writing something down.

"Good stuff. Now, you're a very lucky lady, Clarke. The bullet landed in some soft fat around your stomach, an inch in either direction and we may not be sitting here having this conversation." The doctor said.

Clarke nodded her head in understanding.

"You'll be here for a few more days for recovery, but I'm going to strongly suggest plenty of bedrest when you get home." The doctor smiled.

"Don't worry, Doc, she'll be well taken care of." Bellamy said, moving to Clarke's side again. He gripped her hand, smiling down at her.

"Good." The doctor nodded. "Now, if you'll excuse me. Just ring the buzzer if you need anything."

"Thank you." Clarke said, her voice still hoarse.

As soon as the door to Clarke's room closed, Bellamy sat back in his chair. He'd yet to let go of Clarke's hand.