Fifty Six

I walked back downstairs after a while, holding the box tightly in my hand. I needed to talk to someone, but I couldn't think of anyone that would be able to understand how I was feeling. The person I usually went to was Nick, but he was back downstairs, arguing with the same girl in the corner of the kitchen.

On the other side of the room, my friend lay with her head on Austin's lap, laughing as he played with her hair. I smiled to myself before walking away from the crowd. I opened the door, but someone slammed it shut before I could walk out. Zion.

"We need to talk too." He said. "I need to apologize."

I nodded, pointing outside. He opened the door again and we stepped out. There was no one there, only the occasional lights in the other houses down the street. He sat on the steps.

"I was making shit up in my head, convincing myself that you actually had feelings for me and that you'd leave Nick."

I sighed. "Zion-"

He shushed me, carrying on. "It's not your fault. I twisted all the things you did and said to make it seem like you were hinting."

"What?"

"Like at the mall, when you asked me to come with you to get food, I rephrased it in my head to make it like you wanted to hang out with me alone. And I'm hella dumb for it."

"I'm sorry." I dug my heel into the ground, avoiding his eyes. "If I led you on, or misled you, I'm sorry."

Zion laughed. "It's not your fault."

I played around with the box in my jacket pocket. He noticed, looking down at the floor with a sad smile.

"He gave it to you?"

"You know about it?"

"Of course." He laughed. "He dragged us all out to the store at like 6 AM to help him."

I smiled. "No way."

Zion shrugged. "He loves you bro."

I looked up, squinting. He burst into laughter, realizing what he'd said.

"I've never been called 'bro' before." I laughed.

"Gotta keep my feelings in check somehow." He shrugged.

After a while, he walked back in. I sat on the steps alone, trying to count all the stars in the sky. I pulled out the box, slipping my finger into the ring. It sparkled and glittered. I smiled, moving it around in the lamplight. But after a moment, I took it off with a frown, and gently slipped it back into the box. Putting the box away in my jacket pocket, I stood up and walked towards the car, tired from all the drama.

As soon as I reached my apartment door, my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Aubri, where are you?" It was my friend. I'd left her at the party. "I can't find you anymore."

"OH." I stopped. "Shoot. I drove back home. Do you need a ride?"

She laughed. "Okay. No, it's fine. I'll ask someone else."

"I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. How'd it go with Nick? I saw you guys walking upstairs."

I groaned, opening the door and crashing onto my bed. "I don't know. He gave me a ring."

"What?" She yelled. "A ring? Did you say yes?"

"We're not getting married, dummy." I laughed. "A promise ring."

"Oh." She sounded relieved. "Damn. Can I see?"

"I'm not wearing it."

"Um." She said. "Why not?"

"Come over. We'll talk."

We hung up. I got changed, took a shower, and waited for her to arrive. An hour later, she was at my door, wearing one of Austin's hoodies over her dress.