Forty One

We sat on the rooftop for another two hours, talking about anything we could think of. The sun disappeared after a while, leaving us in the dark. The moon shone above us, and a few stars glimmered in the distance. I lay down, my head resting on his thighs. He talked endlessly, smiling while running his fingers through my hair. I closed my eyes, trying to enjoy the moment before I'd have to go home again.

"When are you coming back."

I opened my eyes. "I don't know."

"Soon?"

"Soon."

He nodded. "Everyone misses you, especially Zion."

"He's my baby." I laughed,

Nick looked at me.

"No, I mean my literal baby. Like, my child."

He squinted, making me laugh even more. But with a shrug, he looked away again.

I sat up. "You were jealous. For two seconds, you were jealous."

"No." He shook his head. "I was concerned."

"Mmhm." I nodded with a laugh.

He shrugged again.

I promised that I'd go back to California once my dad was okay. I felt a need to take care of him. If I left, he'd have nobody left. Nick understood. He was disappointed, and wanted me to come home as soon as possible, but he knew I couldn't leave my dad alone the way he is now.

"I have an idea." He said with a grin.

Before telling me what it was, he pulled out his phone from his pocket and looked for someone in his messages. No matter how many times I asked 'what is it?' he wouldn't tell me. When he finally found the person he was looking for, he turned the phone away from me so I couldn't see. He called the number and waited for them to pick up.

"Mom?" He said into the phone once they'd answered.

I paused. His mom?

"Yeah." He said.

I couldn't hear what she was saying, even through the silence.

"Yeah no," He said with a grin. "Can Aubri and her dad come over for dinner tomorrow? Just because."

I couldn't hear her response, but judging by his wide smile, she'd said yes. After a few 'i love you's and more 'thank you's, he hung up.

"Your mom?"

He nodded. "It'll be fun."

"I don't think my dad would be willing to go." I sighed.

He shrugged. "We'll force him to. It's not like he's eating anything better at home."

I laughed. "Hey, I cook for him."

"Exactly."

I paused. "Shut up."

"But seriously." He smiled. "Our dads used to be close. Maybe they'll have fun again. Your dad would probably enjoy the company anyway."

I shrugged. "I guess so."

He kissed my forehead as I leaned into him, his arm around my shoulder, my head resting on his shoulder. We sat there, our legs hanging off the building for the next few hours, talking and talking endlessly.

"Thank you." I whispered, and I really meant it.

He turned to look at me. The light of the moon reflected off his eyes, sparkling in the dark. I smiled.

"I'm in love with you." He said softly.

I laughed. "Hmm. Are you sure?"

He smiled. "Pretty sure."

"I think I am too." I said. "Actually, I know I am"