Forty Seven

We decided to go to a music festival the next day. Edwin brought it up in the morning during breakfast, trying to convince everyone to go.

"Come on," he groaned. "It'll be fun. It's only here for like two days before it moves to another city."

Zion yelled from the other side of the room, sprawling himself all over the sofa. He lay face down, screaming into the pillow.

"I don't wanna go." He sounded as if he was about to cry.

"Get your lazy ass UP." Edwin yelled. "You're on Fortnite all day, you piece of ass."

Zion stood up and walked towards us. He grabbed the cereal box and smacked Edwin around the head. We backed away in surprise and laughter. They ended up play-fighting in the kitchen, grabbing everything around them to hit each other with; spoons, pans, plates, juice bottles. Brandon recorded everything on his phone, laughing uncontrollably behind the screen.

Eventually, we decided to go. Edwin convinced Zion that there would be cute girls there to talk to. Zion gave in. Once they were all ready, we drove to my apartment so I could change. While I chose my clothes and did my makeup, they sat in the living room, watching a movie and playing games on the TV. When I was done, I walked out. Nick looked up, then sunk back into the sofa, covering his face with his hands.

"Why you gotta do me like that." He said with a slight smile.

"What do you mean?"

He pointed at the clothes I was wearing: high-waisted denim shorts, a white bralette with a sparkly see-through cropped shirt on top, a few necklaces, hoop earrings, and Air Force 1s. I looked at the others as they shoved Nick around on the sofa, laughing and teasing him. I pulled my hair up into a ponytail, laughing. Before I could tie it, Zion waved his hand, telling me to stop.

"Huh?"

"Leave it down," he said. "Looks better."

I dropped my hair back down. He pulled a face and gave a thumbs-up before returning to the game. I walked to the sofa, sitting on the edge, next to Nick. He looked at me with a warm smile, placing my hand in his.

"We should go." Edwin said, pulling everyone off the sofa, eager to get going.

We followed him back down to the car. We squeezed into the seats, Austin complaining that he was uncomfortable with Brandon pressing into him in the back. Edwin ignored him and turned on the radio, blasting the music. The car shook from the sounds as we pulled out of the parking lot.

"Yo hold up." Brandon said, looking at his phone. "Edwin. Tiffany's there."

"I know."

We all turned to look at him. Nick teased him, asking if Tiffany was the reason he wanted to go in the first place. He didn't respond. 

"Should we get Charlotte to go while we're at it?" Zion laughed.

Brandon slapped his head from behind. I couldn't help but laugh, even though I felt bad. I didn't know why either of them broke up with their girlfriends. Neither of the girls wanted to talk about it.

"Guys stop," I sighed. "Maybe he just misses her."

Edwin met my eyes through the mirror. He gave a little smile, and I smiled back.