[77:] Spring Formal

Maddie's P.O.V.

Today's the big day. I've waited for this day for a few weeks now and I'd like it if today would turn out perfect.

I woke up thirty minutes later than usual. Which means I'd be late for school. I rushed to get ready and brush my teeth. I didn't think about breakfast. I put on the first thing that I found, hoping that it isn't dirty.

I didn't brush my hair and barely managed to brush my teeth.

Jen was asleep too, and jumped up when I told her how late I was. She told me that she was sorry, she had overslept.

She rushed to get me to school, not caring that she was in her pajamas.

“I'm really sorry,” she says.

“It's all right. Hopefully today will get better.” I smile. “I'm really excited about tonight.”

“Today's that dance, right? I don't know if I could ever go to one, I'm a terrible dancer. . . If there's food, then maybe. . .” she started laughing before she could even finish her sentence. I was laughing too.

“Well, we're here, school already started, right?”

I check the time. “Math class is almost over, I think I could make it.” I give her a quick hug and run to class.

***

There was a substitute today, an old man that couldn't keep the class quiet. In fact, it was so loud that the teacher didn't even see me come in.

I couldnt sit in my seat because someone was sitting in it, and I didn't want to ruin a makeout session, so I moved towards the back.

The whole class was talking, some shouting, others trying to do work and some were sleeping. The teacher eventually gave up, sighed, and sat down.

I know I shouldn't be doing this, but I took out my phone and played some games while waiting for this class to end.

***

In science class, Mr. Prine could care less about what was going on in his classroom. He wrote down the assignment on the board but hardly anyone bothered to actually do it.

“Are you actually going to do the work?” I ask Julian.

“Nobody else is doing it, so why should I?”

“So you can get good grades.” I say.

“I have good grades, I think I can skip one assignment.”

“Class, this assignment is worth one hundred points,” Mr. Prine says, as if he'd heard what Julian said.

Julian rolls his eyes and takes out paper and gives me one.

I write my name and prepare myself to tackle this assignment.

***

We finished ten minutes early and turned it in.

I wonder if he's as excited as me about the dance. I can't wait for tonight. I really can't wait!

“So. . .you excited about tonight?” I couldn't help myself, I had to ask.

“Yeah. . .” was all he said.

I couldn't help but wonder what's on his mind.

We talked for a little longer and the bell had rung. He hugged me for a long time, I almost didn't want to let go.

***

English class wasn't the greatest, either. You know how sometimes teacher's give out pop quizzes? Well, today Miss Owen gave us a surprise essay. I guess you'd call that a pop essay, if that even exists.