[11]: Found a Library!

Maddie

The next day

I had a miserable night last night, but right now I am in the absolute best mood. You're not going to believe where I am!

I happened to find this place while I was searching again for The People's Church. (My friends from last night tried to give me directions to the church, but I don't think I understood right.)

Forget that. Right now I'm inside the coolest building I have ever seen. It's big, with tall ceilings and echoing halls.

So where am I?

Hint #1: I haven't told you the main thing they have here.

Hint #2: You'd love it here!

Give up?

I'm in the library.

This is nothing like the hardly-ever-open Aaronville library. This place is a museum of books. Floor after floor of books! I wandered around for hours and am now in the teen section. It's unbelievable here: cushy couches and coffee tables and magazines... it's more like a lounge than a library.

I've picked out a few books and magazines, too. There's one about escaping from Alcatraz. (You've heard of Alcatraz, right? The old prison on an island? I never knew this, but it's in California.)

One of the magazines caught my attention, which is why I grabbed it. On the cover was a young woman, long, blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes. She's wearing a purple blouse, and an orange pencil skirt. She's pretty. It says her name is Jennifer Lawrence.

I could probably sneak the books out of the library, but why would I?

It's cool and comfortable here, and there's no traffic noise. Plus, the bathrooms are nice, and everybody's minding their own business.

Too bad the library closes at eight.

Too bad they don't have free food.

Forget about that. I'll deal with sleep and hunger later. Right now I'm going to sit on this cushy chair and read!

* * *

3:45 PM

Guess what?

I found a room with a refrigerator and scored big-time! Two sandwiches, a couple of yogurt cups, a can of almonds, and some beef jerky. I stashed them in my jacket quick, then went into a bathroom stall, scarfed some of it down, and put the rest of it in my backpack.

I love this place!

* * *

7:45 PM

The library's closing in 15 minutes. All of a sudden I'm really, really tired. I shouldn't have spent the whole day reading. I should have found that church. Or I should've taken a nap in here.

Maybe I'll hide behind the bookshelves and wait for the place to close down. It would be so nice to sleep on a couch...

But what if they have night security? What if I get caught? They'll know I'm homeless. They'll turn me in.

Crap.

* * *

10:30 PM

There are guards roaming around. Two, I think. They cruised through the teen section but haven't come back for a while. I can't see any cameras mounted on the walls, scanning the room, so I hope I'm safe for the night.

I'm going to forget the couch (even though it's calling my name really LOUD). It's in the wide-open middle of this room, and they'd see me for sure if they came through again. I thought about snagging two of the couch cushions and bringing them back here, but then I can't pretend to have fallen asleep during business hours if I get caught. (That's what I'm planning to say if they find me. "Oh no! I can't believe it! I've got to get home. My mother is going to be SO worried!")