t h i r t y - t w o

m i a  /  t h i r t y - t w o

I don't see Kade Lawson around for the rest of the school day. I'm in the library during break with Caitlyn, and we don't see Cameron Black entering the library. However, we finally look up when he slides into the seat opposite me, next to Caitlyn.

Caitlyn's eyes are wide, and I shoot her a "Calm down, chica" glance. She seems like she's about to hyperventilate at the close proximity of Cameron Black.

Hm. Matchmaker instincts are kicking in.

I try to keep myself from grinning, but it fades away just as soon as Cameron Black begins speaking. "Lynch. Lawson left school early. Family emergency. Just thought I'd let you know."

He begins to stand up again, but I furrow my brows, calling him back at the last second. "Wait, Cam. Is . . . is he okay?"

I think of the way he was drinking at Kade Ryder's party, the way he seemed like he just wanted to forget. Maybe there's something behind it all, and I've been blind.

Cameron sighs, sitting back down on the seat. "I'm not sure. Its just . . . tough times, I guess. You're keeping him grounded."

And with that, my heart breaks. Me. Keeping Kade Lawson grounded? But I was just about to end things with him this morning.

I shoot a helpless glance at Caitlyn, and she can see right through me. She sighs, and Cameron glances at her. He changes the topic in a flash, glancing down at the textbook open in front of Caitlyn. Math.

"You guys any good at Math? I'm failing."

I roll my eyes to myself, however, I'm glad when Caitlyn and Cam begin conversing about Math equations, and after two minutes, Caitlyn writes down her number on Cam's arm.

I gasp, and they both look up at me, guilt written all over their faces. Caitlyn defends herself, "What? He needs tutoring."

I shoot a warning glance Cam's way, and he nods solemnly. He got the message. Mess with my best friends heart, and I'll break your nose.

I'm happy for the ship that's well on its way to start sailing, but inside, I'm heavy with the guilt of leading Kade Lawson along. I've been thinking about the way Kade Ryder had placed his hands on my waist, and I'm just saying, but I don't think I minded it.

I don't think I'd have pushed him off if he'd done it again.

. . .

It's around ten that night when Kade Lawson calls. He asks me if I'm busy, if I could meet him in half an hour, and I agree without hesitation, thinking back to what Cameron said in the library. If all Kade Lawson needs is a shoulder, and I'm the one he calls up, then I'm going to be there for him.

He texts me the address of a café near his house, tells me that his cars broken down, and if I minded making my own way there. I don't. I throw on a long-sleeved black top, tying up the laces of my pair of combat boots, grabbing the jacket nearest to me. It happens to be Kade Ryder's.

I don't bother digging through my closet for another.

I'm almost at the café when Kade Lawson texts. I open the WhatsApp message, and let out a long sigh after reading it. He says he can't make it.

I'm not mad. He's probably okay now, and doesn't need to talk anymore. I decide to give him a little time, not wanting to call him up now. I can't end things over the phone, either. That's just plain cowardly.

Since I'm already in my car, already reached the address that Kade texted me, I decide to check out the café. It's cold out anyways; a hot chocolate would warm me up.

I step out of my car, pushing my hands deeper into the pockets of Kade Ryder's jacket. The café looks amazing from outside, all warm lighting and cozy decor. I'm about to push open the door of the café, but the sound of people on the street stop me. This feels like deja vû, even more so as I turn around, a prickly feeling at the back of my neck.

Kade Ryder. Street fighting. I take a few steps down the street, pausing, and when I find a wall way nearer to him than where I currently am, I head to it. I crouch down, watching Kade as he fights, a one-on-one fight.

It's dangerous, and it's beautiful.

They're fighting as if they know each other well, bodies knowing each other's moves so damned perfect. It seems so synchronized, so well thought-out, like they know exactly what they're doing. And they do.

I'd gotten Kade to open up about him fighting, and when he spoke about it . . . his eyes simply lit up. He made it sound so easy, such a by-the-way thing, and now it's obvious why. He's been trained really well.

There's another guy, his boss, I'm guessing, who is standing in the shadows. He's on a call, phone pressed onto his ear, and I'm glad that there's no way he'd be able to see me, from where I'm standing.

Kade does, though. Again. Our eyes lock, and the intimacy of it sends a ripple of something straight up my spine.

. . .

vote, comment, share x