End of an Era

After the attack on Mrs. Norris, the school was in a state of constant tension. Students were walking the halls in packs, professors were clearly in distress and the only person who was seemingly enjoying the chaos was Draco.

He was strutting around the school like he had just won the lottery. By the third week of it, Harry had had enough and decided to confront Draco, he clearly knows something, and it was time to share.

Harry decided that cornering him in between classes would be best. Today they had Herbology, double Potions with the Gryffs, and Defense. Harry figured that the gap between Potions and Defense would be best. It would be during lunch and Draco likes to stay behind and talk with Snape. His lackies would usually head to the Great Hall to get a head start on stuffing their faces.

Sure enough, once the class was over, they were learning the theory on how the Mandrakes would be used to cure Mrs. Norris, Draco was slow in putting away his things while Crabbe and Goyle made tracks to lunch. Harry too took his time cleaning up, last semester, he was already gone with Seamus, but once again his friend was avoiding him. Harry had to work with Ron, who spent the entire time trying to talk with Harry about Quidditch. Harry was too focused on taking notes to care, not that that deterred Ron from talking. Finally, the last person left leaving Harry, Draco and Snape in the classroom Harry made a show of gathering his things and leaving so that Draco and Snape would feel that they are alone.

Once Harry was outside the classroom, he pulled out his wand. Since the beginning of the school term, Harry had been practicing in his free time. So far, the only class that was giving him any real trouble was the practical part of Transfiguration.

Harry had learned that wizards don't consider any sort of Muggle solutions to anything. If magic doesn't work, then it's not worth anyone's time. Harry also took one of his glass beakers and tapped it with his wand. He strengthened it to handle a little more stress. Harry then cast a quick, quiet spell to gouge a hole in the door and placed the beaker over the hole. Harry could hear the conversation that was happening on the other side.

"Sit down Draco," came the monotone of Snape.

"Very well, why did you want to speak Step-Father?" asked the snobbish drawl of Malfoy.

"You need to stop strutting about, there are already whispers of the Chamber and the school doesn't need the stress of that now."

"But why, if it is open then the school will be cleaned of the stain that is the mudbloods and other unworthy."

The sound of skin-on-skin told Harry that Snape just struck Draco.

"YOU WATCH YOUR TONGUE BOY," Harry had never heard Snape so angry before.

"I-I'm sorry," Draco's voice no longer had any of the smugness it had before.

"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have struck you. If anyone were to hear you saying that, you would find more enemies than friends."

"I don't want to be friends with anyone who associates with mud-muggle born."

"Be that as it may, a Slytherin is not so brash as to spout their beliefs and values to the world. You're not some hotheaded Gryffindor."

There was a moment of silence and Harry readied himself to run if it sounded like they were finished.

"What happens if it's really open?" asked Draco.

"I'm not sure, the last time it happened a young girl died. After that the school was closed for the rest of the semester and was kept closed until it was clear that the threat was over," sighed a resigned Snape.

"Father wouldn't let the school close, would he?"
"Your father has much sway on the Board of Governors, but even he would have to concede if it goes as far as it did fifty years ago, but enough, you need to eat something and ready for your next class and remember what I said about using that word in public."