The First and Last Day

It was mostly quiet in the castle, if listened to closely, one could hear the soft popping noise of the house elves as they did their nightly chores. The children were asleep, resting for the always exciting first day of classes. The first years had the most restless sleep, not knowing what to expect in a school of magic was always intimidating. Harry slept soundly, other than the small noise he made due to some dream. There was only one living soul that was awake at this late hour.

Albus Dumbledore was deep in thought as he silently stroked is beard with one hand and held a cup of tea with the other. Harry Potter was finally here. He knew that Harry was taken to the orphanage, against his own wishes, and left in the care of Minerva's much younger sister. Albus frowned as he thought of Margret McGonagall. She was an exceptional witch, but during the war she was vehemently against Albus and the Order of the Phoenix. She had a more permanent solution to Albus's more forgiving one. Sure, they shared the same end goal, but it was the means of getting there that separated them. He wanted the witches and wizards who sided with Voldemort to see their wrong doings and redeem themselves. Everyone deserves a second chance. Dumbledore knew that Margret would take care of Harry and teach him about our world and in hindsight Dumbledore would admit, to himself only, that Harry was in much better care at the orphanage than in a muggle household. To be watched over by someone who could react properly to the bouts of accidental magic. Albus was now in a bit of a pickle now, with the unknown that is Harry and the Philosophers Stone both in the school at the same time, his time was going to be stretched watching the two of them at the same time. He would have to let Harry have some free reign, as much as his instincts were against it, and focus on protecting the stone. Besides, how much trouble could an eleven-year-old boy get into.

Soon, the sun rose, and the students began to awake from their slumbers. Harry shook his head and grinned as he remembered where he was. It wasn't all a dream as he had feared, it was real, and he was in it. Today was an important day, not only would he have his first classes, but he also needed to scope out as much of the school as he could and identify targets, allies and enemies. So far, he allowed only two people to see a little past the veil. It was necessary to gain the confidence of his classmates. Daphne Greengrass and Draco Malfoy. From what he learned, they were both from wealthy families and held quite a bit of pull in the Ministry of Magic. Draco was much more vocal about his family's standing while Daphne let the power emanate from her very presence. They were both good allies to have, but also good targets for future heists. Harry planned on leaving this school a much wealthier man. All he really needed was a layout of the school and Seamus to watch his back and be his partner-in-crime.

Harry dressed, grabbed his bag and headed to breakfast. Thankfully his memory served him well as he didn't get lost on his way back to the Great Hall. Entering through the massive double doors Harry looked around to see who was also awake. He seemed to have beaten most of the school, but there were still quite a few students already awake. He looked to the Gryffindor table and saw Seamus sitting with the tall black boy who rode the boat with them, Harry remembered his name was Dean. Harry walked over to them and sat down next to Harry. Seamus smiled to his oldest friend.

"Harry, a good morning to you, how did you sleep?"

"Quite well Seamus, and good morning to you too. And you Dean."

"Right, back at you Harry."

Harry began to fill a plate with food as Seamus and Dean continued their conversation before Harry joined them.

"So, Dean, what do you think our first class will be?"

"Don't know, I'm just excited to even be here. My parents were shocked to get the letter and even more by the way it was delivered. I don't think either of them had seen an owl outside a zoo."