[58] Aftermath (Part 3) - The Order of Kalimas

Sweat ran down Otis' puffy red face and dripped off his dark beard leaving a trail in the dune trying to suck him under.  He kept his hand planted on his right cheek to stop the sand from blasting his skin and getting into his eyes.  Seeing his Wizard companion effortlessly trekking through the desert drove him mad.

They donated their horses to the Ulmakans, determined to walk back to the northern plains that bordered the desert.  At last they reached the rocky plains and Otis sat on a boulder, thankful for the breather.

"Here is a good spot," said Kayla.  She stabbed her blackthorn staff into the ground.

Otis greedily accepted Kayla's ever-filling waterskin.  Only then, a thin blue light struck the air before them.  A bald Man in midnight blue Wizarding robes stepped through the tear not unlike Kayla's pocket dimension.   

"Panadahe's grace!" Otis shouted.

"I warned you," said Kayla smiling. 

"You did."  Otis gathered himself.

"Apologies, Guardian," said the Man. 

He had curious eyes, a thin build, long fingernails, and a debonair smile.  He clutched a thin dark staff with a green crystal poised atop.  A delicate knife dangled from a silver chain around his neck.  Otis thought him uppity, yet benevolent on first glance.

The Wizard bowed.  "I am Balomar...at your service."  He greeted Kayla first, then the Dwarf.

"The stars shine on our meeting, Balomar," Kayla said, "Arataas has told me much about you."

"And he about you, Kayla Windshaper. It is an honor to meet you."  He turned to Otis.  "And you as well, Guardian.  Now, if you don't mind, please hold my hands tightly as we step.  Move as I move."

Otis raised his eyebrows, but remained silent relying on his faith that this was all Panadahe's will.

The three stepped through the tear in reality.  The bright sun dimmed.  The landscape started to blur and wave and slip past him as if he ran far too fast in a never-ending realm.  The wind blew his hair straight back.  Goose flesh covered him now as his sweaty skin froze and he shook with a chill.  The Dwarf kept pace with the two taller Magicians, but he felt like he walked on the dunes yet again. 

"Hold on a bit longer, Guardian," shouted Balomar.  He swiped a downward arc with his staff, opening a tear in reality.  "And here we are."

"Thank the Eldergod," said Otis.  "I'll not suffer through that mysticism again."  He clenched his muscles trying to warm them.  The rocky landscape around him told the wise Dwarf he could only be in the Scar of the World as Kayla described earlier.  Before them stood two guards donned in armor as old as his Grandfathers. 

"Greetings, Marcus," said Kayla to one of the guards.

"Greetings, Kayla Windshaper," nodded the Man.  "Greetings Otis son of Otahn, Guardian of Panadahe.  Greetings Balomar." He turned to the Man. "The High Council awaits you, Balomar."

Balomar led through through a massive tunnel through the earth.  Otis dragged a hand along the wall as they moved.  Dragons, or magic bore these tunnels, he thought. 

A great light flared ahead of them and the ringing of a mighty anvil sang in his ears. 

"I hear music," said Otis. 

They approached a great forge and within a mighty red Dragon from ancient days let blow his powerful breath to heat a block of Silversteel.  A Dwarf with hulking arms littered with crystal stones swung a runed hammer with a head as large as a boulder.