Right now, though, the Wizard's thoughts dwelled on her Darkstalker spell.  An incantation of her own making.  She went over and over the words of the spell in her mind.  Even the slightest of error could be detrimental.  If she misspoke a single word, or even placed emphasis on the wrong glyph, it would not only send her into madness, but it would be the downfall of her friends and the Stones.

"Coming up on the fortress," said Arataas. 

The Dragon's voice snapped Kayla back to reality.  She looked around below, not remembering how she got so far so fast.  She studied the landscape more closely.  Dark swamps bordered a tan, barren wasteland.  And in the very center stood a crude, rocky citadel. 

Kayla pointed.  "Look there."  Realizing Arataas could not see her hand, she applied pressure to her left foot.  The Dragon banked left.  She let off the pedal, and he straightened out.  Ahead of them, a swarm of what looked like black ants, moved south.  "They are on their way already!  Hundreds of them!"

"Let's take a closer look," said Arataas. 

Kayla sneered and held firm to her saddle's horn. 

As they swooped down, the long caravan became clearer.  Most of the army walked on foot, while a handful of covered wagons provided support.  The largest of the wagons traveled in the rear. 

"The big one in the rear could be Lord Vöhl," said Kayla.  "We must warn Green Haven!  But is there anything we can do?"

Arataas glanced back and gave her a sly smirk.  "Hang on."

The Dragon's wings flared a little more.  Kayla, sensed a sudden change in Arataas.  An aggressiveness she nearly forgot until she recalled his fight with the undead Demon during her battle with Valon Sadesh.  Not only was the Dragon a creature of beauty, but one that could wield destruction at his will.

But as the Dragon dove in, the wagon's covers slid to the forest floor revealing large ballistas, crude versions of the ones she saw at the Scar on the backs of the other Dragons.  Steel spears loaded in them glinted in the sun.  As they glided closer, the ballistas fired, sending the spears directly in their path.  Arataas twisted left, sending Kayla jolting sideways hard.  She let out a scream of surprise.  The spears flew sailing past them, but one punched right through the Dragon's left wing. 

Arataas let out a groan, but held on.  He inhaled, and has he passed the line of Lord Vöhl's army, a burst of Dragonfire erupted from his angry jaws.  He breathed a line of fire nearly the length of the convoy, hitting all of the wagons and many of Vöhl's legion.

The Dragon flapped hard and kept low to the trees to disappear from their sight, only then did he pull up above the clouds to safety.

"Are you alright, Kayla?" asked Arataas.

"I'm a bit shaken, but fine.  You're hurt!  We should land."

Arataas banked a little to the left and right.  "I'm alright.  Should we go for another pass?"

Kayla feared for Arataas and her friends now.  "Let us get to Green Haven as quickly as we can then.  We need to warn them of the attack."

"I think that is best as well."

What would he do if I wasn't on his back, she thought.  She pushed the thought from her mind.  "Let's go!"

[][][]

Kayla looked down as they passed low over the lake, wondering if she could see her backpack.  The night made it difficult, but she still found the idea silly.  The interesting thing being that she no longer cared.  What does that mean? she wondered.

They landed, and Arataas changed back into the guise of Alden Sal-Moon. 

"I do not see the way," said Kayla.  She lit her blackthorn staff and peered north, but again saw nothing but trees, her eyes betraying her that Green Haven lay just before them.  "Can you see it?"

Arataas nodded.  "I do.  It is difficult to explain, but we Dragons see things differently, just as we can see the invisible, we can see through the illusions of the oldest of magic."

"Oldest?"

"Yes, the Dragons gave magic to the Mindful, but the Druids mastered its way first.  We think its the link between their soul and nature, where the rest of Mindful want magic for..."  He stopped himself before he finished.

"For what?" asked Kayla, she pursed her lips into a crooked smile.  "Power everlasting?"

Arataas shouldered his pack as they walked north through the trees.  "Well, why did you take up magic?" Arataas asked. 

The question caught her off guard.  She thought and boiled down her reasoning for going to the towers of Ulmaka so many years ago after the death of her Aonghus in the Whispering Woods.  She went to the towers for power, yes, but not power alone.

"I would rather not say," said Kayla.  She pulled her hood over her head and tramped through the woods, working her way ahead of him.

"I don't mean to pry.  You're reasons are your own."

Kayla thought of Arataas and how he spilled his secrets.  He went out of his way to show her his true self.  Telling her of his ancient society and of Demons and of the secret war to keep the world safe from them.  How petty her secret seemed to his. 

She stopped.  She considered all of the things she did even now.  Reading the grey grimoire to gain more power, but why?  All the things she did now for her friends.  She risked slipping into madness, or even death learning these new, more powerful spells.  But not for herself.  No.  She did not desire the power for herself alone.

Kayla turned her head back to him. "Love."

"Love?"

Kayla halted and stomped her foot.  She turned to him, eyes flaring.  "Yes, I learned magic because a Man I loved was killed by a force no one could control, or contain.  I learned magic to defeat that force, so that they could never harm another soul as I lived, and as you know, we Kowluun live a very, very long time.  I learned magic to protect my friends, so that our quests, and sometimes foolery mind you,  does not get them killed.  Why?  Because I love them.  And I would do for you the very same."

Arataas' eyes weakened and his mouth turned down.  He lifted up a calming hand.  "Kayla?"

"What!" screamed the She-elf.  She blinked as bright lights blinded her vision.

"Your eyes are on fire."

A/N - Guys thanks for reading this weeks update! If you enjoyed then hit that star!