CHAPTER 27

"Cassie, wake up," Beast whispered into her ear, lightly nipping at her mark, arousing her from her slumber.

Turning her head, she slowly opened her eyes, widening as she noted gold eyes staring at her, tentatively cupping Max's face, she took in his features, they seemed harsher, worried...she asked, "What is happening?"

Inhaling deeply, Beast turned his face towards her palm, kissing it tenderly, closing his eyes, giving control back to Max.

As Max opened his eyes, they were no longer gold, but his expressive dark eyes, telling her something was extremely wrong and now with their mating completed, she could sense his emotions. Feeling his anguish, fear and anger. Pulling her face up towards him, she gave him a tender kiss, brushing her lips across his, "Tell me what's wrong, let me help you."

Leaning his forehead against hers, he gazed into her eyes, taking a calming breath, "There has been a incident, we are needed back at the pack house."

What kind of incident?"

"A girl was murdered..." Max stated.

"Oh no!!!...What of her family? Who did this and why?" She exclaimed, feeling the loss of a member.

"We know the culprit, we are tracking their last known whereabouts, hopefully we'll catch them before they disappear and cause more harm. She had no family, only friends within the pack," Max paused, wondering how he was going to tell her the reason for the murder, but he promised Cassie that there would be no secrets, "As too the reason...there was a message...they want you dead!"

Cassie gasped, pushing Max off her, standing up, wrapping the sheet around her naked form....pacing, "You telling me, that the girl was murdered, because of me!" Staring intently at Max.

"Yes...but I'll be damned if anyone tries anything!" Max said, standing up and engulfing her in his arms, resting his chin on her head.

Hugging him tightly, laying her head on his chest, hearing his strong heartbeat. Tears formed in her eyes, "But..."

"No! We will handle this together, we will fight this! Nobody will take you! Trust me, trust your pack! Please..." He spoke vehemently, embracing her tightly.

Silence descended, as they held on to each other, finding comfort from their sorrow.