n i n e

What type of music do you listen to?
———

Seven's POV

I lay awake, in what I believe is the morning. It's hard to tell being that we're underground. I slept for about five hours, I had a hard time sleeping though with the new environment and the bad vibe I have been getting as of recent. Daryl is still asleep while I still lay on his legs uncomfortably. The smell of breakfast wafts in the air, I tilt my head up to get a better smell: eggs.

Daryl's eyes open, groaning as he slings an arm over his eyes. I hop down from my end of the couch and make my way over to where his head is and begin to lick his face in hopes of waking him. "Mm.. Seven. Leave me alone." He tells me in a groggy voice. I don't listen being that it wasn't a strict command. "Fine." He says frustrated, sitting up.

He sits on the end of the couch with his legs dangling off, staring at me. I simply stare back at him with a blank expression as is his. We're both too tired to make an expression or even have a reason behind us just staring at each other. He breaks his trance of staring at me and stands up. "C'mon lets go get some food."

We make our way down the halls, he keeps groaning as he rubs his head. Hungover. Merle often got hungover after his nights at the bar or at 'home.' Daryl would too but not nearly as often as Merle, it seemed to be a regular occasion for him.

We make it into the dining hall and see everyone start standing up. Did we miss breakfast? They all follow Jenner out of the room towards the 'big room.' We fuckin' missed breakfast. Great. I blame Daryl. I look up to him as we follow everyone and start grumbling as if I could cuss him out. He looks down at me and smirks before continuing to follow the group.

A human brain is displayed on the screen before Jenner begins to talk a bunch of sciencey things, that I don't think Daryl nor I would ever understand. "What are those lights?" Shane speaks up asking Jenner. Daryl's face displays complete confusion. So he also has no idea what tha' hell is goin' on.

"Its a person's life — experiences, memories. It's everything. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you — the thing that makes you unique. And human." Shane looks at Lori before looking down after this is said. Somethin' happened. Was it when I left? Should I have stayed?

I lean against Daryl, the wariness about this place and Shane making me do so. Daryl has arms across his chest and his fingers under his biceps, "You don't make sense, ever?" Daryl asks.

Jenner then begins to explain in an even more complex sense, at this point I just gave up on trying to understand it and decided to just tune everything out. The brain turned black and the person stopped moving. Dead. Then little glows of red light illuminate the base of the brain. So all I know is that tha' bite kills ya' and then it makes ya' come back to life as not your self. A piece of metal comes into the camera before letting a shot go through the brain. Dead, once again.

Daryl still holds confusion on his face and I snort at him. He looks down at me and wipes the expression off his face and replacing it with his usual stoic one, muttering, "Shut up."

Jenner then tells us that there's nothing left anywhere and that he doesn't even know what the virus is, "Man, I'm gonna get shitfaced drunk, again." Daryl says rubbing his eyes before leaning against a monitor.