Chapter 38 ~ The Girl Who Cried

Hello! So, the next chapter, the final chapter, is very long. Longer than I intended. It's over 7000 words long okay. Would you rather have it all as one giant chapter or 2 reasonably sized chapters? That's all, continue reading.

  I blink continuously as I try to process what Max has just said to me. He proposed? To Mom? Randomly?

  "I know what you're thinking." He says cautiously and calmly. "But I want you to know that it was not as spur of the moment as it seemed."

  I can't help but give him an even more puzzled look. I can only imagine how ridiculous I look to him. "What?"

  He presses his palm onto his face, exasperated. "Ah I'm sorry. Your mom should have been the one to tell you about all this, not me; you barely know me."

  I agree, in my head. Out loud I say, "You proposed to my mom." He gulps, and nods. "How?"

  Now he's the one looking confused. "What?"

  "Did you get down on one knee? Did you give her a nice long heartfelt, sappy speech? Did you get her flowers? Did you take her out first? How did you do it?" He stares at me and my heart sinks. "Oh no. You didn't just . . "

  He nods shamefully. "Yes, I'm afraid I did."

  "No!" I exclaim. "Ugh. Okay, what did she say?"

  "She said no." He states. "Freaked out a little, but yeah, it was a pretty firm no."

  I shake my head sighing. "Alright. Well, now I know." Something else comes to my mind. "Why did you randomly propose in the first place?" He opens his mouth already looking defensive. "I don't care what you say, that was random."

  He nods dejectedly. "We were kind of having a fight."

  "A fight?" I repeat.

  He nods again. "A fight." Max lets out a long breath before continuing. "I was hurt that she didn't seem to want to tell anyone that we were getting back together. Plus the fact that her ex-boyfriend came over and she denied ever having been with him, even though I could clearly see  that there was something there."

  I hold my hand. "Hold on. Which ex-boyfriend?"

  He pauses, thinking for a moment. "The one with the baseball cap. He was tall and sort of a grouch."

  I smack my hand to my forehead instantaneously. "Luke."

  "Yes, that was his name."

  I cut him off before he can say anything further. "Luke, is not her boyfriend."

  "Anymore." He says.

  "Ever."

  "What?"

  "They were never together. Nothing happened between them, she was telling you the truth." I tell him.

  He sits there, stumped. "Then why did it feel like I walked into something?"

  I sigh heavily. "That is too complicated to explain. Anyways, that's the truth. They are just friends." I almost roll my eyes at the irony of this situation, me having to explain that Mom and Luke are just friends after spending months convincing Mom that they are not just friends."

  "Okay. Good to know." He sits in silence for a moment. "I should probably apologize to your mom then, huh?"

  "Uh, yeah." I say with a clear 'duh'  tone in my voice. "And for proposing out of the blue just to stop a fight."