(S1) Chapter 3 ~ Emily Gilmore

"Callie! Callie! Where are you!?" I hear my mom and sister shout from inside the house. 

  I lean against the side of the house and slip my backpack on. I woke up super early and left without them knowing. They've been trying to make up since last night. I ignored them, but I suppose they decided to try again this morning.

  I walk quickly across the front lawn and to Weston's bakery. I order a few doughnuts and a cup of coffee, of course. A while later, Lane comes in.

  She sits down across from me. "Hey."

  "Hey." I mumble.

  "Still bad?" she asks.

  I nod. "They keep trying to make up but, I don't wanna hear it."

  "I understand." she says. 

  I take a sip of my coffee.

  "I know why Rory lied." she tells me.

  I look her straight in her eyes. "Why?"

  She hesitates. "I can't--"

  "Lane!

  She sighs. "Fine,"

  I wait for her to start.

  "It's Dean. The boy who was staring at her in front of school. She doesn't want to leave Stars Hollow High because she wants to..I don't be with him. Or see him, or talk to him." she explains. "Sorry."

  "Don't be. If she wants to stay that's fine. I don't care. Dean over Chilton?!" I scoff and pick up one of my doughnuts. 

  "C'mon. It's Rory. She doesn't care about guys, y'know that. So, if she's making a big decision like this because of him, it's pretty serious." Lane tells me.

  I sigh. "I know."

  "So??"

  I roll my eyes. "I'll talk to her." Lane squeals. "Just to hear her side, okay?"

  She nods multiple times. "Yeah!" she gives me a hug. "Well, I gotta go but you promise to talk to her?"

  "Yeah, I promise."

  She smiles. "Bye."

  I go back to eating my doughnuts. I pull out a notebook and start to brainstorm what I'm going to say to Rory. When I'm mad, I tend to get mixed up. Like, I'll forget why I was even mad in the first place. Or I'll accidentally say something I don't mean, which causes more problems. This happens to Sookie all the time. 

  * * *

  Ring ring ring ring ring

  I walk over to the phone and groan. I know who it's going to be and I really don't want to talk to them. But, I answer anyway.

  Me: (tight voice) "Hello."

  Mom: (honeyed voice) "Hi, it's me."

  Me: (sighs) "I know."

  Mom: "Okay, well, I just said it in case you didn't know. So I didn't go blabbing about something and you didn't know who was even talking, let alone what they were saying."

  Me: (sighs louder) "Well I know who you are! I saw the number and you're the only who would even bother calling me."

  Mom: "Fine. Rory's coming home, she was just at the Inn and be ready 'cause dinner's at 7. We have to leave around 6:20. 'Kay?"