(S1) Chapter 6 ~ This is How a Gilmore Eats

"Who wants breakfast?" Grandma asks me and Rory at the table. 

  "Definitely!" Rory sits down and eagerly waits for the selection to come out.

  "I wonder how Gilmores eat." I say.

  "You know how Gilmores eat. We're Gilmores!" Rory laughs.

  "I wonder how wealthy Gilmores eat." I grin. 

  Finally, maids carry the selections out on trays with a cover on them. The maids set the trays down on the table. They leave and return with jugs of juice, teapots, coffee. I feel spoiled.

  "Grandma, what is all this?"

  She smiles. "There's quiche, chocolate-chip waffles, fruit parfait, french toast, buttermilk pancakes, crepes, oatmeal, eggs and sausages, hash browns and we even have German potato pancakes." Grandma lists.

  "There are too many options." I gasp. "I don't know what to eat."

  "I think I might want eggs." Rory says.

  "You always have eggs for breakfast." I groan.

  "No I don't."

  "Well, it's either that or pop-tarts." I say.

  She blushes. Grandma turns to her. "Really? Pop-tarts? If you want I can have the cook get some for you."

  "That's alright Grandma. I think I'll have.." Rory stares at all of the food, trying to decide. "French toast."

  "Excellent choice!" Grandma takes a plate, puts two slices of french toast on it and hands the plate to Rory. "Anything else with it?"

  "Um," Rory hesitates, but sees me glaring at her. "Yeah. I'll have some bacon, if you have any." I smile at her.

  Grandma nods. "Of course. It must still be in the kitchen." she says. "I'll get Callie her breakfast then your bacon, alright?"

  "That's fine. I'll dig in, if you don't mind." Rory holds her fork above her plate.

  Grandma nods at her. Rory takes a gigantic bite of her french toast. "So, have you decided what you want yet?" Grandma asks me.

  "Uh, not really." I tell her. "Hey, isn't Grandpa supposed to be here?"

  "He should be. He's probably still on the phone talking to clients." she informs me. 

  "Okay." I say softly. "Hmm..I love the way crepes look. They look so fancy."

  Grandma picks up a plate. "Go ahead. If you're still hungry you can have another serving of something else, like a fruit parfait."

  "Mmm..Crepes do sound good." I eye the plate Grandma is holding. Without hesitation I take it and put two crepes on my plate. They have whipped cream, strawberries and raspberries inside. Also chocolate drizzled on top and powdered sugar. 

  "What do you want with it?" Grandma asks me.

  "Oh! Um...I'd like to try the German potato pancake." I tell her as I take a bite of my crepe. It's a bit like a cannoli.

  "Okay, I'll get you a German potato pancake," she stands up. "And I'll get Rory some bacon." she hurries into the kitchen. As she's running in she yells, "Don't forget the drinks! There's lemonade, juice and tea! Also coffee!"

  I take a glass and pour myself some pink lemonade. Rory drinks coffee, as usual. Her and Mom are obsessed with coffee. I like it, but I don't want to drink it 24/7. And I don't just like coffee. I drink french vanilla, espresso, latte, cappuccino, caffe americano, caffe mocha, caffe macchiato, latte macchiato, frappe coffee, hot chocolate. I could keep going on and on about every drink I've had.

  Just as I take a sip of my lemonade, someone knocks on the door. Grandpa shouts from his study, "I've got it!" It's silent for a while and then I hear him say, "Lorelai?"

  I quickly turn to Rory, who has an unreadable expression on her face. She looks almost scared. "Are you okay?" I whisper. She quickly shakes her head no. 

  Mom walks into the dining room where she sees me and Rory eating breakfast. She looks down at her feet and sniffles. "It's time to go." she says softly.

  I look at my crepes and my lemonade. Ugh. So. Hungry. "Can we finish eating first?"

  She glares at me. "No, we're leaving now."

  I roll my eyes. Now she wants to act like she's in control? I stand up and start to head for the kitchen. 

  "Where are you going?" Mom asks with a baffled expression on her face. 

  I whip around. "To get containers! Since we can't eat our breakfast here, at the breakfast table; I thought we should just pack it up and take it with us!" I continue into the kitchen. I hear Rory follow me in also. 

  "What are we gonna do?" she asks in a low whisper. "Are we actually gonna go with her? She's acting crazy!" 

  "We don't really have a choice. She's our mom!" I tell her.

  "Wow." she gasps. "I would've thought you'd be completely on board with just leaving. You and Mom don't really have the best relationship."

  "I know. But you do!" 

  "What does that mean?" she retorts as we meet Grandma by the fridge. 

  "Girls!" she exclaims. "What are you doing in here? I told you I would get the food." she smiles, but she notices our glum faces and her smile fades.

  "Mom's here...to.." I start.

  "Pick us up." Rory finishes quietly. 

  Grandma sighs angrily. "Oh."

  "I'm sorry, Grandma. We didn't know she was gonna come and just take us home." I apologize. 

  Rory grabs a container on a counter nearby. "Do you happen to have any more containers?" she asks.

  Grandma points to a cabinet behind Rory. Rory says thanks, and goes over there to find more containers. I hug Grandma. "We'll come back for Friday Night Dinner next Friday. I promise. No matter what Mom says."

  She hugs me back. "I look forward to it." 

  Rory walks over to us again. "Can we still get our bacon and pancake?"

  "Oh yes!" Grandma takes a plate of bacon and dumps it into a container. She does the same with my German potato pancakes. "Here you girls go. It's breakfast to go!"

  "Thank you, Grandma!" Rory says as she hugs her. I take the containers and head for the dining room. Rory trails behind me. 

  Silently, we pack up our food and take some of the other foods that we didn't choose today. Grandma gives us mugs to take home our drinks in. After that, we say good-bye and get in the car with Mom.

  She doesn't say anything until we leave Hartford. "I'll tell you." she says.

  I stare out the window in the backseat. "I'll tell you everything." Mom says. "The whole story."