(S1) Chapter 5 ~ Family History

* * *

  "What do you say we go back in there for some dessert? Hmm?" Grandma asks me. "I made Raspberry possets. They go wonderfully with champagne!"

  "I'd love some." I say wiping my left eye. "But, what about.." I trail off.

  She sighs. "It'll be alright."

  "She told me to be nice during dinner and the whole time here! She's going to be so upset."

  "She's already ruined dinner. Now's a chance to make dessert pleasant." she says. She looks me in the eye. "Now, lets go in there, have some dessert and make good conversation. Your sister and grandfather are probably really concerned about you." she tells me.

  Oh right! Rory! And Grandpa! I totally forgot.

  "Alright, Grandma. Lets go in." I agree. 

  She smiles. "Good." she guides me back to the dining room.

  Grandpa stands up. "Callie," he starts.

  I expect him to be mad. To yell at me for being so rude on the first night I've been here. But instead, he rushes over to me and hugs me tightly. "Are you alright?" he studies my face.

  "I'm fine. I'll be okay." I answer.

  "Oh good." he exhales.

  Rory rushes over to us. "Callie. I'm SO sorry!" she apologizes.

  I give her a hug. "It's okay."

  "I swear, I didn't know Mom was going to do this. At least not tonight." she promises. 

  I pull away. "I'm okay." I tell her. "Lets just have some dessert." I walk over to my seat and put my napkin in my lap again.

  Rory sits in her seat and Grandpa follows. Grandma, however, stays where she is; observing the table.

  "Where is Lorelai?" she asks Grandpa and Rory. "She didn't leave did she?"

  Grandpa shakes his head, but has a sour expression on his face. Rory winces. "Well, Emily, she went for a drive." he admits.

  "What?!"

  "Just around the neighborhood." Rory clarifies. "She said she wanted some air."

  Grandma rolls her eyes. "I don't need you to defend your mother, Rory. She's perfectly capable of doing that herself."

  Rory nods.

  "So, she just left you here?" Grandma exclaims.

  "She'll have to come back." Rory says. "For us. Me and Callie."

  I sigh. Maybe she'll skip the Callie part and just take Rory. After all, that's who she likes best. I try not to tear up but it's hard with everyone around here. "May we have dessert now? I hear we have some Raspberry possets!"

  Grandma nods. "Right. I'll go tell the cook. I'll be right back." she heads for the kitchen, leaving us in silence.

  As Grandpa reads his newspaper, I lean over to Rory. "Do you really think she'll come back?" I whisper.

  She thinks for a second. "I hope so." she decides is the best response.

  "Me too." I stare at my napkin as we wait for Grandma and the desserts.

  * * *

  "Hi, Mom, it's Rory. You still haven't came back and Grandma and Grandpa are getting worried. I know you guys don't really get along or whatever but we're here, it's late and we're worried about you. Don't leave us. Come back." Rory leaves the 4th message on Mom's cell.