A Cut Above the Rest

Is it possible for things to happen so fast yet so slow?

"What?" I coughed out.

"It's you," he repeated, slower....

I think.

It's really difficult to tell the passage of time while a large man hovers over you. Also breathe and and focus and....

Wait?

Am I having a panic attack?

Didn't even have time to answer my own question before the man started reaching for me. With a staggered gasp I quickly reached inside my purse. I barely had enough time to grab something before my fight or flight kicked in.

"No!" I shouted as pulled out a pocket knife horizontally slashing it in front of me. I only wanted to scare the guy off but guess my aim was a bit off. 

The man gasped, stumbling back grasping his hand. I took a couple steps back, my vision finally focusing back up as I watched the blood drip from his hand. I scanned the area to see people staring, many with their phones out recording. 

"Oh god," I muttered as I fumbled as I try to shove my knife back in my purse, before turning and running off, completely unaware that someone was calling after me.

**********************************************************************************

"Gil?" Jazmin called as she peered into the living room. She gave out a low sigh as watched Gilbert continue pressing his face against the window. "Gilbert it's been almost an hour, staring out the window isn't gonna-"

"She's back!" Gilbert interrupted jumping up on the couch. Jazmin took a couple steps into the room, peering out the window, squinting as she watched her friend run up to the front door, jumping when the door slammed shut.

"Rachel are you-" Jazmin started before being interrupted once again when Gilbert jumped off the couch, nearly hitting the floor before I caught him.

"Oh," I muttered trying to quiet my heavy breathing, "hey buddy."

"I missed you!"He exclaimed as he wiggled out of my arms.

"Yeah," I breathed.

"Gilbert," Jazmin butted in, "why don't you go get ready for bed?"

"What," he whined, "but mom just got back!"

"Birdie," I called leaning forward, squishing his cheeking between my hands, "I'll tuck you into bed but got get ready, so I can so chat with Aunt Jazmin."

Gilbert looked around, "fine."

"Thank you Birdie," I gave him a kiss on the forehead before sending him upstairs.

****************************************************************************************

"That's freaky," Jazmin mumbled as she took sips of her drink. The two of us sat at the kitchen table, where I told her about my garbage date made better with that creepy dude scaring the shit out of me. 

"Tell me about it," I groaned, distantly staring into my tea. It had been almost on hour and I could still feel my heart hit my chest with ever beat. I better get my shit together so i can go tuck Gilbert in before he gets impatient.

"Should we call the cops?" Jazmin proposed. 

"No," I stated standing up from my seat, "I think I know what this is all about."

"Well," Jazmin chuckled resting her head on the palm of her hand, "good to see you're done panicking."

"You're right," I grinned, "cause now I'm pissed."

******************************************************************************

"So no more dates?" Gilbert asked as he crawled into bed.

"Well, for now," I replied as I sat down at the end of the bed.

"For now?" 

"Don't worry," I laughed, "there won't be another date for a long time."

"Good!" Gilbert cheered, jumping up on his bed, "I'm the only man you need!"

"What?" I exclaimed laughing as I pulled him down onto my lap, "Birdie you are ten years old, far from a man."

"Only boy then?"

"I don't know," I grinned, "pretty found of Gilbird."

"Mom!" He exclaimed grabbing my face, "I love you!"

"I know, I know," I chuckled as I picked him up of my lap. I stood up from the bed with a low grunt. I adjusted Gilbert in my arms before I laid him down in his bed, his eyes locked onto me, I gave a soft smile as I pulled the covers up to his chest. 

I took a deep breath as I stood back up, I look down at the young boy I called my son. My son... that's certainly not the way I imagined my life over a decade ago. Kids were nowhere near the image of my future. Yet here I am 26 years old, I finished college, got a job in my field, I have a son. 

I'm happy.

My eyes widen as it dawned on me, that strange man, I was so rattled just minutes ago, but here I am perfectly calm. The incident, the man, the phone calls, they all seem so far away.

"Mom?" Gilbert called.

"Birdie," I smiled, leaning down and giving him kiss on the cheek, "I love you." Gilbert rolled over on his side as I walked away, shutting the light on my way out. I closed the down behind me, still holding the knob as I leaned against the door.

Whether or not this was my plan, whether or not this was my ideal future, Gilbert is a part of my life now, and I love him, and I may not know many things but if there's one thing I known, is no matter what you protect what you love.

And there will surely be hell if anyone gets in my way.