Spiders and Birds

"Coupon works for only for one, non stack able, what a scam I swear," I paused, "oh god I'm becoming my mother." I clicked my tongue before looking over to see Gilbert staring at the cereal.  "Birdie," I called, I watched Gilbert wince before turning to me, "come here." 

I chuckled, Birdie was recent nickname I made after years of getting drawing of birds and months of him asking for a pet bird. He never minded the nickname that is until we're out in public. But hey isn't being called an embarrassing nickname in public by your mother a part of life?

Gilbert took a couple steps before turning and pointing at the cereal, looking back at me. "Yeah, yeah, lets see what you got. He quickly grabbed a couple boxes then ran up to me. "Pick a juice flavor," I said as I took the cereal from him. 

"Grape!" He exclaimed pointing up.

"Yuck," I gagged as I handed him the box.

"I'm drinking it, not you," he replied, climbing up on the side of the cart.

"Well I'm paying for it not you, so put two of these boxes back, you're one kid ya' don't need three boxes of cereal." Gilbert groaned before finally taking two boxes, slowly walking his way back to the cereal part of the aisle. "The sad walk isn't working pick up the pace." I said as throwing the box into the cart as Gilbert ran back to me.

"Are we done." Gilbert whined as he climbed on the back of the cart.

"Yeah, we're done, we're gonna check out in the garden area," I replied.

"I wanna see the trap plants," Gilbert exclaimed.

"Venus fly traps, no," I shot down, "every time, you stick you finger in them and break them." Gilbert let out a long groan leaning his head back onto my stomach.

"I want a bird!"

"Again with the bird thing?" I asked, "you're a persistent kid."

"I just think they're neat," Gilbert replied.

"Yeah okay," I mumbled.

***********************************************************************************************

Gilbert sat under a table of succulent and cacti while watching a mother struggle to check out as three kids around her fought. "Mom?"

"What up?" I replied as I handled a small pot of aloe vera.

"Can I have a brother?" he blurted. 

"You can have a cactus," I stated, as I placed the plant under the table. Gilbert then popped his head out with a puzzled expression. "I'm sorry did you want a freak out?" I smirked as I pulled him out, "I've grew up in a family expecting me to be a baby machine, those questions don't faze me."

"But can I?" Gilbert asked again.

"No," I stated as I brushed the dirt off his jeans.

"Why?" He pressed.

"Because one is plenty," I replied as we rolled up to the register, "besides why do you want a brother?"

Gilbert shrugged, "I don't know." I sighed as I watched Gilbert shifted his body looking down at shoes.

*********************************************************************************************

*One Month Later*

"Yeah, yeah, I'm super excited for him to see it, he'll love it," I exclaimed excitedly on the phone to Jazmin.

"Sure he can handle it?" She asked.

"He's almost eleven years old," I replied, "I certain, he can." My excited mood calmed as silence was my only response. "Jaz?"

"Hey Rach?"  She finally broke the silence causing me to jump.

"Yeah"

"Have you still been getting those calls?" 

I paused, pulling the phone away. Those calls, those damn calls, no matter how many times I block the numbers they still call. I even considered calling the cops, but decided against it out of fear of looking crazy and ya know pride. I didn't want to worry her, I could only response one way. I took a deep breath finally bringing the phone back to my ear.

"No," I bite my lip, hoping that Jazmin wouldn't catch my lies.

"Oh, that's good," she replied, "when did-"

"Oh Gilbert's bus is here, gotta go!" I exclaimed, cutting Jazmin off before my string of lies could become a web to get caught in.

"Oh," she sighed, "b-" I cringed as I quickly hung up, I slowly opened my eyes to see three missed calls, all of my mysterious callers. 

I shut off my phone before throwing it on the couch. I looked up to the clock, it's wasn't another twenty minute til the bus got here. I took a deep breath, turning and walking up to a blanket covered object. I slowly lifted the blanket peering inside of the object, giving a soft smile.

"It's okay buddy," I cooed, "you''l love him."

A/N:

Been a while hasn't it. Don't know why, but I starting thinking about this story and felt compelled to write some more. I actually have a ending planned so might as well actually finish it.

Also if you like my writing you might like my art, so if you wanna see that or just need a way to bother me into writing the next chapter I have social media:

Tumblr: wheezemeister

Twitter: wheeze_meister

Instagram: WheezeMeister