Pride and Parenting

Chapter 12 - Pride and Parenting

Christmas had past which meant one thing, the time to move out and that went by quicker then expected. Everything seemed fine until the first night Gilbert spent in the house. I had put him to bed just a hour ago and now I was busy unpacking when I heard the creaking. I quickly turned but nothing was behind or around me.

"Gilbert?" I called, the only respond I got was more creaks. I closed the box and walked out of the room. "Gilbert!" I called once more still more creaks. I walked down the hallway towards Gilbert's bedroom door. I slowly opened his door to see a pitch black room. I sighed as I was about to shut the door the hallway became dark. I gasped turning around, I thought I was going crazy until I felt something pull at my pants. I looked down to see a bright pair of red eyes looking up at me. "Gilbert?" I questioned as I turned on his bedroom light shining light into the hallway, to reveal that it was him. "Jesus fucking christ," I mumbled. I then kneeled down, "what are you doing out of your room?" Gilbert didn't say a word he just wrapped his arms around me. I sighed as I picked him up. "What's wrong? You don't like your new room, I know you can sleep in a room by yourself."

"It's too quiet," he mumbled.

"Too quiet?" I repeated.

Needless to say he slept in my bed as I finished unpacking for my room. Once I finished I made a quick phone call.

"Too quiet?" Jazmin questioned over the phone.

"Yeah it makes no sense, he's such a quiet child, then again all day he's been talking a lot more like he's trying to make as much noise as possible," I stated.

"Huh, what?" Jazmin mumbled.

"What?" I asked.

"Oh sorry Cass was saying something,"  Jazmin replied. "She thinks that he doesn't like the quiet."

"What?" I exclaimed.

"Rachel, he's lived in a house with three other people, he's use to the noise, and I'm sure that even when he's going to sleep he would listen to the noise we made no matter how quiet we were," Cass explained taking the phone from Jazmin.

I paused remaining quiet thinking as I listened to the noise of Jazmin trying to get her phone back. Eventually I was so deep into thought that I didn't even completely process my actions when I hung up my cellphone and set it down on the table. I had dealt with kids all my life but the idea of a child not liking the quiet made sense yet still rattled me. Eventually I gave up trying to think it through and went back upstairs to my bedroom.

I woke up the next morning to a cold hand smacking my face repeatedly. I placed a hand in front of my face catching the icey hand. I opened my eyes to see Gilbert standing over me with my phone in his hand.

"Wha- the-" I mumbled, however I soon heard an irritating noise coming from my phone. I laid quietly listening to the noise trying to remember something when I quickly realized that it was my alarm. I instantly sat up grabbing the phone from Gilbert. It was my alarm for school and even though I heard it I was still going to be extremely late. I was baffled how could I be late this bad, time said that it was almost noon. "Aw fuck me!" I exclaimed as I jumped out of bed. "How did this happen?"

"Snooze button," Gilbert replied. I quickly turned around to see him kneeling at the end of my bed. "You kept hitting the snooze button, but sometimes you would sleep through it, so I hit the snooze button. Eventually I got tired of hearing it and just woke you up."

I stood there staring at him, completely stunned. Which I was more stunned about I couldn't tell, was it the fact that I managed to do something so recklessly or the fact that Gilbert was suddenly the chatter box. I took a deep breath and turned away, brushing my hair out of my face.

"Can we stay home today?" Gilbert asked suddenly.

"What?" I questioned turning back to him, I watched as he stood up standing on the end of the bed frame.

"I don't wanna go to daycare, it's boring," Gilbert stated.

"Boring, it's not like you're in school, it's freaking daycare, how can daycare be boring?" I commented.

"It just is," Gilbert whined.

I gave out a loud sigh, "fine, I'm already extremely late, and I'm not really in the mood to drive all the way out there." I guess thinking about it now I made up all of those excuses to make myself feel better about making such a dumb decision. Gilbert gave out a loud cheer almost falling off the bed in the process. I quickly leaned forward picking Gilbert up off the bed. "We may be staying home, but we are going to go out and get stuff done."

"I think you're missing the point of staying home," Gilbert commented.

"You skipped school today?" Jazmin asked over the phone sometime later in the day, in a tone that was just short of calling my an idiot.

"Yeah, I mean I was already late and Gilbert wanted to stay home," I replied. Soon enough I heard Jazmin arguing as Cass took over her phone.

"Rachel do not tell me you are catering to that boy!" Cass exclaimed, I had to pull the phone away from my ear from how loud she shouted.

"No," I denied, "I'm not catering him, I just been thinking-"

"No, you're definitely coddling him, you always do!" Cass interrupted.

"No I don't, I know how to care for a child!" I exclaimed, I didn't even notice that I got louder, but Gilbert did cause he walked into the room with a confused expression. "God damn it!" I shouted as I slammed my phone on the table.

"What's wrong?" Gilbert asked. I flinched and quickly turned, him talking regularly still jars me.

"People are being a pain in an ass," I replied.

"Ass?" Gilbert repeated.

"Don't say that word, actually don't repeat a lot of the words I say," I quickly lectured. Gilbert didn't say another word he didn't even nod he just left as if what I said upset him somehow. I gave out a low sigh as I sat down at the table, I didn't want to admit it even though I was thinking it I refused to ever verbally let them know that they were absolutely right. But hell, pride is quite the bitch isn't it.

A/N:

I realize something a couple chapters ago, I'm writing this like somebody is telling a story however I highly doubt I will be able to tie it back to the scene in the beginning of the story. Well I guess this stuff happens when you make it up as you go.

Anyway as I said last time I'm hoping to wrap this up soon, not that I hate it or something, it's just that I have the ending planned and would love to have another finished story.

As always all comments, votes, and any statements your little heart desires are appreciated for feedback and support.

Until Next Time!