Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Lance's P.O.V.

Surprisingly enough, the weeks after getting Mackenzie back weren't that bad. Luca had become my rock. She was amazing and while we knew we would never last, we were holding eachother together while we did. Things were just really free with her. I didn't have to worry about hurting her feelings or trying to be perfect. I was me and she was her. That's all there was to it.

Mack and I hadn't spoken much. I could tell she was getting along with Liam's friends again though. They were taking her out and he was spoiling her. She looked genuinely happy and no one could stomp on that. I kept visiting Dr. Cortez though. She kept me updated on Makayla's progress. So far she hadn't relapsed back into her host personality, but she hadn't had any meltdowns either so I couldn't complain much. I knew it would take time. I couldn't be bothered to rush it now anyway. I had Luca. Kat was happy. Mack was alive. I was happy.

I watched Luca approach the school with a grin on my face. She was beautiful. She had this way of walking that made you know she was one of a kind. She emanated rebellious and self righteous.  "Hey there good lookin," I greeted her as she found her place under my arm.

"Sup pretty boy?" She smiled as we entered the school together.

Shortly after we got into the building, we had to say goodbye. She headed to her first class and I headed to mine. We wouldn't see eachother again until lunch.

I found myself in English class with Makayla. She glanced up at me as I entered the room and sent me a small smile. "Hey Lance, long time no talk."

I returned her smile as I took my seat. "I know. We've got a lot to catch up on."

"You don't say," she commented off handedly. "I hear you're dating someone."

I felt the blush go to my cheeks. It was sort of awkward discussing that with her after everything me and Mack went through. "Yeah, I kinda am. You wouldn't like her." The old Mack would. "She's all hardcore and rebellious. Lives life on the wild side. You know, typical movie bad ass chick."

She laughed, tossing her curly dark hair over her shoulder in the process. "She sounds perfect for you."

"Why do you say that?" I kept an eye on the teacher as he started the lesson. Me and Mack weren't his favorite students.

She shook her head. "You just seem like you brood a lot. Don't the bad ass and the brooding guy always end up together?"

I shook my head. "Oh contrary my friend, the bad ass and the good girl always end up together. Does that mean you two are gonna get together?"

Her mouth fell open. "Ew!"

I laughed, keeping the conversation going. "I don't know...I think I can see it. You two would be perfect for eachother."

Makayla thwacked my arm. "What even? You're such a guy." She rolled her eyes at me.

I rubbed my arm. "God, Kayla.. I can't control what parts I'm born with."

"But you can control your mouth, Mr. Randall." I met the angry eyes of Mr.Sourpuss. "Stop distracting Ms.Davis."

That ended our bonding time.

I met up with Kat at lunch and we got into line together. She was chatting away about some art project she was doing and asking me really personal questions that i just kept nodding and ignoring. I had never seen Kat as talkative as she had been for the last month or so and that was probably because of her new boyfriend. I had to admit I didn't like Kace much when he first started hanging around Mack, but he was the best thing that could've happened to Kat..especially after I abandoned her in her grief.