Chapter 11

Makayla's  P.O.V.

I was glad Liam and I weren't fighting anymore. It almost felt like his fight wasn't actually with me and that made it hard for me to defend myself. I can't defend against an unknown threat, you know?

"Kayla!"

I ran to my bedroom door and poked my head out of the doorway. "What?!"

"Your friends are here!"

Cursing myself for being so slow at getting ready, I shoved my I.D., lip gloss, and wallet into my small purse before running down the stairs and to the front door. There I found Macey and Tracy.

"We don't have all day hefa, hurry up."

I rolled my eyes at what I was beginning to find out was Macey's go to personality around me. Choosing not to respond to her comment, I brushed past her and headed to her car. I hopped into the backseat with the strange feeling that someone was missing. When the others made it into the car I made my inquiry. "Hey, um..before...did anyone else used to ride with us?" It always felt so awkward asking about myself..The myself that this self doesn't know.

Macey's  hands seemed to attack the steering wheel and try to squeeze the life out of it. Tracy however, answered my question. "Yeah, Kace did."

I frowned. "My sister's friend Kace?" He was one of us?

She nodded curtly. "Yeah, he used to date Macey before Riley did...kinda."

"Kinda?"

Macey glared at Tracy. "Stop it Trace. Just stop it." Then an awkward silence fell over us. The silence stayed until we reached the small family owned Italian restaraunt Clark had just started working at. The guys were already there, drinking sodas and generally being rowdy when we made it there. By guys, I meant Liam and Luke. Riley was kind of just there, brooding.

"Babe," Macey greeted him as she joined the long booth they had reserved for all of us. He gave her a half smile before swatting her hands away when she tried to pinch his cheeks. She went for them again and he kinda just held them as he held back his smile and blush. They were adorable, truly.  She seemed like the only one who could make him not so angry.

Tracy went up to the counter, where Clark was hard at work and began speaking with him, most likely trying to purposely distract him from his job.

I joined the rest of our group,  once again being seated between Luke and Liam. Luke just glanced at me and let out a phony annoyed sigh. Laughing, i nudged his arm with mine before giving my attention to Liam. He pulled me into his side and kissed the side of my head. He didn't realize it, but it was the small things like that that made me so head over heels for him.

"What climbed up his ass and died?" I gestured to Riley as I whispered this.

Liam tensed for a second but I quickly began to massage his arm. He sighed before sweeping my hair out of my face. "A lot. And I don't think he's ever going to get over it."

I leaned into him, absorbing his everything. "Were he and I ever close?"

Liam shook his head. "Closer than any of us knew apparently."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Liam glanced down at me, noticing my defensive tone. "No, not like that. You two just had secrets. I didn't even think you liked eachother enough to talk and share secrets."

I relaxed a bit. It sucked to not know what you did with who before your now. "If I talked to him would it be a problem?"

Liam chuckled. "You're making it seem like he's some wild animal. I can't stop you from talking to him and I can't control his response. Riley is Riley. Riley does what he wants. He's unpredictable."

I nodded. "Duly noted."

Within fifteen minutes, there were four pizzas in front of us. Besides the few awkward moments where Riley was included in the conversation, the dinner was amazing. We talked and laughed and I got to start re-knowing my friends again.

I learned that Tracy and Liam had a thing sophomore year which contrary to popular belief wasn't all that awkward for me. I learned that Tracy kept trying to screw Coach Dunne, which was disgusting. They told me that the guys were huge surfers but I didn't know how and I sucked.  Ouch. But basically, they reintroduced themselves to me and tried to welcome me back with as little fuss as possible.

After we finished eating and Clark joined us, someone recommended that we head down to the lake for a bonfire. Everyone kind of buzzed with a new excitement at the mention of this so I couldn't help but catch the excitement too. I rode with the girls down to the beach.

When we got there, everyone rushed to position some logs around a pit. Clark lit it and we all huddled around it in our winter coats and throw blankets.  It was cold, but I hadn't felt more warm in months.

Riley brought out a case of beer and passed them around to everyone. I didn't remember drinking, but I figured I'd try it so I grabbed one too.

Clark looked to Riley,  but Riley didn't make any sort of move,  so instead Clark stood up. "Now the last time we were here we were celebrating a successful senior prank." Loud hoots and hollers rang out around us and I wondered if I was a part of that. "Today we're here in the cold reminiscing with a returning member of our makeshift family." Someone coughed beside me. "And Luke," Clark added. We laughed. "Anyway, to kick this off, here's to new beginnings."

He sat down and Tracy stood. "To correcting old mistakes."

Then Macey. She glanced around the entire circle mischievously.  "To making new ones."

Then Liam. "To making good on old promises."

Then me. I stood, nervously. What if I said the wrong thing? "To...to making new memories."

Then Luke. "To better tomorrows." Everyone complained about the cheesiness of that one.

Last but not least, Riley stood. "To real and fake friends."

The group fell into silence as Riley took his swig. Slowly, we all followed suit.

A few minutes later someone started playing music and suddenly almost everybody was up dancing. Riley chose that moment to sneak away. I followed him to the edge of the water. He didn't even turn around to greet me.

"Stop following me, I want to be alone."

Of course I ignored him. "What happened while I was gone?"

"Nothing."

"Clearly something did. "

"You died, okay?" He whipped around to face me. "You died and we felt guilty and Liam got depressed and the group broke up and then you came back but you didn't come back and no one can fix that."

"But I am back. I just lost some memories."

"You lost everything." His voice lowered. "And I lost a friend." Then he walked off and rejoined the group, leaving me there to ponder life.

Then you came back but you didn't come back.

I'm here.

You lost everything.

But I was just gaining it all back, right?

Right?

So guess who as of last Monday is 17? That'd be me. Senior year, bishes!