Chapter 5

Late and a bit short, but action packed. Updates will resume on Saturdays. I just had a busy week last week. Sorry guys.

Chapter 5

Liam's POV

Returning to school after a three day relax period at home sucked. Plus, it was a Monday. Satan created mondays. I'm sure of it.

I ran into Luke at the beginning of the day. "How was he?" I didn't have to say who. Luke knew I kept tags on Lance. Protecting him was the only thing that made me feel like I was somehow helping Kenz.

"He left early on Thursday and didnt show up Friday."

That was weird. Sometimes he left on Thursdays but Lance never missed school. Staying home meant staying in a Mackenzie memory infested place. I could relate to not wanting to be home. If we hadn't hated eachother when she was alive, we might have actually had a chance at being friends.

"Thanks," I applauded Luke. He really was a great friend...and a trooper. I was kind of a hand full for the last couple of months.

At lunch I opted to sit with the football team instead of my old group of friends. These days none of us really know how to act around eachother. I passed by our old table, which remained empty. Clarke and Riley now sat with a group of semi-popular seniors. We stopped speaking after Kenz's death. Macey and Tracy still sat together. They joined up with a nosey group of Juniors. Macey and Riley were still together..just not so much in front of everyone else. I think they felt guilty. Sadie Pierce left the school the week after we all found out about Mackenzie. No one heard from her after.

I glanced over at Kace, who was now sitting with Kenz's old friend- Kat, I believe. She was giggling and he was flirting. I scoffed. Neither of them helped her when she was down and yet they got to be happy? Together at that? Bullshit. It wasn't fair. They didn't deserve happiness. None of us had it.

During the last period of school, there was a mandatory assembly called. I went in with Luke. He was being generally cheerful, cracking jokes and trying to keep me upbeat as he normally did these days. I didn't really pay attention to what Ms. Zolcoviack had to say. I hated her. Riley did too. She busted us for smoking in the bathroom Freshman year and told both our parents. Riley's dad had just developed his drinking problem. That was the first time he hit Riley. My parents were for the most part cool, but I had to sit through a smoking documentary.

"Dude!"

I turned my head to face Luke. "What?"

"You didn't just hear her?"

"Why would I listen to her?"

He looked a bit pale. "Liam.."

I tuned in to the assembly.

Ms. Z was in the middle of a sentence. ".....didn't want it to be known to the public both for their sake and hers. Unfortunately, Ms. Davis suffered greatly after her accident. She has been hospitalized. She is currently suffering from multiple personality disorder. She has no recollection of her life before the accident. Her parents would like to send her back here for the last few months of her schooling but they need the cooperation of the student body as a whole. They-We need you to treat Ms. Davis as if she is a new student. Her new name is Makayla and no one here is by any means allowed to call her Mackenzie. It can set off a manic episode within her." She put down the index cards she had been reading from. "I know this is coming as a shock to everyone here, but Id like to think of it as a second chance...a way to do something..to change what we did the first time she was here. This is a chance to redeem ourselves as human beings, students and staff alike. So I ask you all to abide by the Davis' wishes in order to try and offer their family some sort of solace for the atrocities committed last semester.That is all. Thank you." Then she exited the stage, leaving the entire auditorium in an uproar.

"Mackenzie Davis is alive?"

"But she had a funeral!"

"Did the bury her alive?"

"Zombie nerd, aargh!"

"That's pathetic. She even failed at killing herself."

"She...she...how is that even possible? My God, Kace, she's alive!"

I made eye contact with Kat. She was in tears. Her and Kace were clinging to eachother in tears and shock and joy.

"Liam." Luke's hand touched my arm.

"Excuse me." And then I ran. I ran out of the auditorium. I ran until the school was blocks behind me. I didn't even know where I was going until his car came into view. "What the hell am I doing?" He had to know. If I was in his position Id want- no need to know. It was the one decent thing I could do. So I knocked on his door.

He answered, his hair dishelved, his eyes red and tired. Shock registered on his face and he faltered as he saw me. "Why are you here?"

"Let me in, its important." He opened his mouth to say no but I guess the sincerity in my voice changed his mind.

"My mother's asleep inside. Can we talk out back?" I nodded and he lead me into his tiny backyard. He took a seat on the shoveled walkway. I followed suit. "What is it?"

I ignored the cold. "There was an assembly at school today."

He smirked. "If you're here to give me a lecture on depression, save it."

"Just shut up for a second, will you?" He was making it extremely difficult to do the right thing. "They said...they said she's alive, Lance. She's alive and she's coming back to school." I tentatively peeked up at him, expecting to find him frozen in shock, or in denial, or anything other than how he did react.

"They're letting her come back to the same place that made her try to kill herself in the first place? What the he'll is wrong with those doctors?"

"You don't seem shocked."

It was his turn to be uncomfortable. He shifted his eyes. "I knew she was alive. Melody told me right after the funeral. I've been visiting her every Thursday for the past two or so months."

He fucking knew?! He knew and allowed me to suffer? "You piece of shit." I stood. "The first thing I thought about when i found out was you. I don't even like you and i had the decency to tell you because I understood. I understood what you were feeling and I wanted to help. You fucking inconsiderate piece of shit." I was angry beyond words.

He shook his head. "Liam, you don't understand-"

"Oh I understand. You wanted her all to yourself. The only way you could have her was to cut me out of the picture completely. You were selfish. You didn't give a shit about how anyone else felt! What about Kat, huh? What about her? What about Kace? She had other people who cared about her Lance!"

"I'm sorry."

"I don't care. Consider this little truce or whatever it was we had over. Get ready for hell." I didn't look back as I left.