Chapter 6

Late because I'm lazy and early because I'll be at Poet's Prom on Saturday and Pride Fest on Friday. I has no time to update besides now. So here you go :)

Chapter 6

Makayla's P.O.V.

Home was not what I expected. When I first got there, my mother embraced me as if she hadn't seen me in years (she hadn't seen me in weeks but you get the point) and I was overwhelmed by her baby bump. When I inquired, she informed me that she was a little over eight months pregnant and due any day. Melody led me up to my room and helped me settle in. Looking around, my room didn't look like me. I mean yeah, of course it was mine, but nothing there reminded me of anything. I had no link to it.

"Is it fine if I set this here?"

I turned to look at Melody, who was putting the makeup from Sephora on my dresser. "Um, yeah that's fine."

She nodded and placed it there before starting to unpack my clothes. I resumed my examination of my room. There were books..lots of books. I had three bookshelves in there. Three! I don't even really like reading. Walking up to one of the bookshelves, I randomly selected one: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. The synopsis said something about a dead girl reliving the same day seven times. Sighing, I tossed it onto my desk. There sat a computer. Curious as to what I was like before the accident, I turned it on. The name Mack popped up with a picture of me I didn't remember taking. I was smiling and pointing at my hair where there were what looked like new highlights. I looked happy. A password slot also popped up.

"I got it," Melody announced, coming over to help me. She leaned over me and typed in "Lenzie."

"Why is Lenzie my password?"

She froze before shrugging it off. "I don't know, ask yourself." I started to question why she suddenly got so rude but she spoke first. "Listen, I'm going to go take a shower. Holler if you need me." And then she was gone.

"Weirdo," I muttered. The computer caught my attention once more so I clicked through my documents. There were a few documents that ended in "poem" so I clicked on those. The first one was a poem about my freshman year in high school. It was depressing so I only skimmed it.

I came across one about my father. I didn't remember him, but I didn't like the poem. Life before my accident must have really sucked.

The last poem I came across was titled "Dear Me" so of course I read it. It was dated about two weeks before my accident.

Dear Me,

If you ever find yourself at a loss for words, remember the time when words could not describe the viscous battle within yourself.

Remember the time when words failed to communicate the errors of the world..the crimes done onto you by the cold cruel fates of karma.

Remember the time when love knocked at your door and you opened it

It knocked once more and you opened again

Remember letting an emotion take control.

If you ever find yourself at a loss for words, tell yourself that words are meaningless.

That emotions speak louder than alphabeticalized nothings.

That even the word Mackenzie is meaningless.

You are meaningless.

 Then swallow your words and walk away from the emotion.