Chapter 14

"Liam?" Leo asked from the darkness, "I thought the girl wasn't related to you."

Liam sighed and looked at the province head with lonely eyes.

"She was kept a secret from everyone. Not just you. Her birth mother was killed by mine. Talk about the King having a mistress is not...good publicity. It had to be kept a secret."

He looked back at his half-sister. From the way he looked at her, I could tell that he cared about her. A lot.

"You were close to her, weren't you?" I asked him, my eyes filled with empathy.

Liam leaned against the glass panel, closing his eyes for a moment before opening them. He nodded, slowly.

"My father never loved my mother. She was the daughter of a powerful noble. Their marriage was arranged, and so was my birth. She came along one month after. My mother being a spoilt woman, killed Sophie's mother. I'd seen it with my own eyes. She slit her throat open and then stabbed the dead corpse, only to satisfy herself. She was going to kill Sophie too, but I stopped her. It was wrong. She shouldn't have murdered an innocent who was asleep and unarmed. I hated her from then on. My father got to know about the situation and dethroned and banished her from Tullen."

"Aren't Tullen and Pyramida constantly at war?" I heard Serena ask from beside Tyler and Lucas. She must have followed us here with the others.

"That was before Liam's grandfather's reign." Leo replied quickly, to get back to the story, I suppose.

Well that clearly indicates that the book is really old. Like really.

Getting back to the story, Liam continued, "Having my mother's blood running through me, Father didn't want me to meet with Sophie. But I secretly did. She was the only person in the castle, my age. Soon enough, we were inseparable in the servants quarters. Those were really nice times."

Smiling for the first time, his eyes glowed brighter. But it soon turned darker.

"My mother, though... joined the Lord of darkness, Zion. She's the one that infected Sophie. She threw her at my feet calling her my father's demonic creation, in our language, Tenitia, when we 'captured' Sophie."

There was a silence that followed his last statement, before Leo spoke.

"I'm sorry I didn't know all of this, child." His tone was sharp but wasn't as emotionless as usual.

Which was not very understanding, by the way.

"I promise we'll bring her back. You and her can be family again. It will happen, as long as I'm here. But for me, no, for us to make it possible, I need you to help us train. To hone are skills well." I said to him.

He looked at me and back at Sophie and sighed.

"I'd help you even if it weren't for Sophie's life being snatched away from her. But first, we need to get that wound treated before the infection spreads all over his body." Liam said, pointing at Tyler, towards the end.

We made our way deeper into the dark sator.

"Here it is. Crimson Wood paste." Leo said holding up a blood red paste in a jar.

Liam didn't seem to back away from it, like I'd expected him to.

"Are you...immune to Crimson Wood?" I asked Liam.

"I'm not allergic to it. Only infected tentoria's are. Otherwise, we are allergic to silver. But silver is rare to find in Urzec."

"Well, it's a good thing that it is. We are allergic to silver too." Will said.