Sweet

Constance's POV *

10 years ago...

" Come on Con! Stop reading and swing with me!" Alan yelled.

I was sitting up against a tree while Alan swung on the swing set.

I sighed, " If I swing with you, will you stop bothering me?"

Alan smiled, " Maybe."

I rolled my eyes and got up.

" If you don't, I'm going to murder you." I threatened as I walked to the swings.

" You love me too much. You wouldn't murder me." He cooed.

I looked at him with a serious expression, " Try me Ezekiel." I said, exaggerating his middle name, which he doesn't like at all.

He made a face, " Don't call me that."

" Then stop bothering me." I shot back.

" We came to the playground for a reason, and that reason wasn't for you to read. It was so we could get away from our parents. Let's make the most of it while we can." Alan said, his features serious.

I sighed, " Fine."

He smiled, " See? It wasn't so hard."

I rolled my eyes and shoved him playfully, to which he laughed.

I smiled but it faded slowly when I felt like someone was watching me.

I turned my head and immediately made eye contact with another pair of ocean eyes.

A boy sat against a tree, the shadows falling on him. He was by himself. I've never seen him before. His eyes showed shyness and caution, since I caught him staring. His cheeks flushed a light pink.

" Con. Con!" Alan yelled, waving his hand in my face. I blinked back and turned and looked at him.

" What were you looking at?" He asked.

" That boy. He's looking at us." I answered, turning back to the boy.

I turned back to Alan when he didn't say anything. Instead, he wasn't creeped out, he was smiling.

" Al? What are you thinking?" I asked. I knew that smile all too well. He was up to something.

" Let's go talk to him." He said, getting off the swing, walking towards the boy. I immediately grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

" What?! No!" I said.

" Why not? We could use another friend since Edith's mom is way too strict. Plus he's alone Con. We can't be mean and let him watch us play." He said, his eyes pleading me to let him go, to let him go talk to the boy.

" But we still see her. I think we have enough friends." I said. I never liked being friends with too many people. I've seen too many people leave. I didn't want Alan to leave me for someone else. I wouldn't bear it. Not even the thought.

" Con come on. It won't hurt to be friends with just one more." He tried to persuade me.

" You said that with jimmy." I deadpanned.

" Jimmy was different." He deadpanned too.

" How?"

" Constance that's not important right now."

" Al." I whined, " I don't want you to leave me for someone else. You'll leave me when they become your best friend." I blurted, instantly regretting it.

Alan's eyes snapped down to mine. Shock clouded his eyes. Then sadness.

" Con... you really think I'd leave you? For someone else?" His voice soft.