Bitter

Constance's POV *

14 years ago...

" Constance!" My mother yelled from downstairs.

I skipped down the spiral staircase and jumped into the arms of my beautiful mother.

" We're going to see Stephanie. She just moved in next door." Mother said, her voice sweet and laced with excitement.

I nodded, " Okay. But what about Caiden? Is he not coming?"

" He's too young dear. He's not as well behaved as you are. April is watching him right now." Mother explained.

April is Edith's mother, also my mothers best friend.

I stayed quiet as we walked outside, walking next door.

Mother put me down and held my hand as she rang the door bell.

A beautiful lady in an all black dress opened the door. She had a young face, her eyes a honey brown. A warm smile rested on her young features.

" Devor!" She squealed, wrapping her arms around my mother.

" Steph!" My mother hugged the lady back.

" How have you been?! It's been way too long!" Steph asked, letting go of my mother.

" I've been great! How about you?! You haven't aged a bit!"

I stayed silent as they continued to talk.

Movement inside the house caught my eye. I turned my head and met eyes with the same honey eyes as the lady.

A young boy was peeking his head from behind the door.

" And who might this be?" Stephanie's voice broke me out of my trance.

I looked up and she gasped, bending down to pick me up.

" This is my first born, Constance Trinity Euphrates." Mother's soothing voice answered, as she combed my hair with her hand.

" You said you were going to name your first born with the middle name Eden? What changed?" Stephanie asked.

Mother shrugged, " Trinity came to mind when I first held her."

Stephanie nodded and looked at me again,
" Her eyes." She whispered.

" She's beautiful Devor." She said. I looked away when the movement caught my eye again.

" She is." Mother said, I could hear a smile just by the way she spoke.

Mother gasped, " Who's this handsome little boy?"

Mother picked up the boy.

" That's my first born, Alan Ezekiel Martinez." Stephanie answered, a smile resting on her face as she looked at her son.

" How old is he?" Mother asked.

" He'll be 5 on November 30th."

" He's older than Constance by a month." Mother said.

They continued to talk and walked inside with us in their arms.

" Constance why don't you go play with Alan?" Mother said.

" I don't want to." I whispered, leaning further into her side.