23 | swings and regrets

23 |

swings and regrets

I knew there was something I was missing about the asshole. I fucking knew it.

"Collin, I don't think this is a good idea," I hear Tim say from beside me as I bring the car to a stop. We're in front of Bishop's house, and I've just driven here my father's car, Timothy quickly jumping inside the passenger seat after I rushed to the garage and set my mind on finally getting this shit straight. 

I turn off the ignition before directing my attention toward Timothy. "That asshole's been abusing my sister and I'm supposed to just let it go?" I don't mention that now that the fog has cleared, I know that Rose is not the only one who has been abused by Bishop. Aspen was as well. I remember the bruises she had all over her body and I had my suspicions about Bishop before, but now everything's making perfect sense. And I'm going to be damned if I don't do something about it.

Timothy doesn't respond immediately, though when he does, I see right through it. "You don't know that for sure." He's trying to convince himself as well as me. Which is all the confirmation I need.

I'm out the door and already walking up the stairs leading to the porch by the time Timothy catches up to me. I don't wait before ringing the doorbell.

"Just. . . don't do anything stupid," he mutters under his breath, stirring a tiny bit of annoyance inside me.

"I'm not planning on it."

The door opens just then and it's Bishop himself, who is facing us.

One word would be enough to describe him. Annoyance. Actually, wait. Utter annoyance sounds more like it.

He looks from Tim to me, addressing his question to no one in particular. "What's going on?"

Dragging in some oxygen, I try to remind myself that I didn't come here to cause any more problems. I meant what I told Tim a minute ago. I totally did. But standing face-to-face with him right now makes it kind of hard to hold onto that decision.

It's even harder when I hear Aspen's voice call out from somewhere inside, "Bishop?"

Because in that instant, it's like everything slamming into me all over again, taking control of my body. I have Bishop by the collar sooner than he manages to blink, our faces only mere inches from one another. "What the actual fuck is wrong with you?" I spit at him, voice low but threatening. "How stupid are you, really? Fucking with Aspen and even Rose, of all people?"

"What the hell?" Bishop swears, trying to push me away. "What the fuck is your problem, Collin?"

"Don't try to act like you don't know what I'm talking about," I push through my teeth, my chest moving rapidly with every word. Honestly, I don't know why I'm letting him swipe the ounce of control I've been building from under my feet so easily. I wanted to talk this out in somehow civil way, but he's been abusing my sister, and Aspen, and whoever knows who else, and how the fuck am I supposed to talk that out with him in a civil way?