31 love, luck and other disasters

He knows who I am. 

He knows I used to hang out with his daughter a lot, even at their house when they still lived in LA from time to time but I hope that's all he knows. I don't know him well but he doesn't seem like the type of guy that would appreciate his daughter hooking up with someone casually out of a relationship. "Uhm," I stammer, feeling a drop of sweat roll down my back. "I was wondering . . . whether I could, maybe, uh, talk to Courtney?"

"How did you get this address?" He asks instead, remaining in his spot guarding the entrance.

I could tell him the truth. That I got the address out of Jade because her folks and Courtney's folks used to be real tight back in LA, even though they came from a totally different sides of the tracks. I'm not a snitch though. Definitely not on someone that was more or less willing to help me. "Look. Uh, I know it's not cool to show up unannounced, out of the blue, but . . . I really need to talk to Courtney about something and I definitely wouldn't come all the way here if it wasn't important."

For a beat, he just keeps on staring at me, perplexed. I fear he might be considering closing the door in my face. I don't recall him being that rude but the problem is, I'm not able to recall what happened that drove them out of LA so suddenly. Without a single explanation. Or so I thought until Jade gave me one.

I wait. And wait. And wait. 

"Answer me this one question. Why should I let you in? Or even keep on with this conversation with you?" He says, jaw set tight.

"I'm sorry, sir. I'm not sure what you mean." I really wish I did though because the way he's looking at me right now, with so much disdain and disgust? For what? Fuck if I knew.

Shaking his head, he takes a step backwards. "I think you and the rest of your friends has done enough already at this point." Vague. So fucking vague. "Go home. And don't try to contact us again."

And just like that the door slams shut in front of my face.

Part of me expected this kind of reaction but now that it really happened, I can't help but feel utterly shocked. I don't even have it in me to feel angry about the fact he acted like an asshole when all I wanted was to have a conversation with him. Or better, his daughter.

I could ring the doorbell again and again and again but what difference would it make? The best case scenario, he would ignore me until I decided to call it quits and left. And the worst, he would call the cops on me for harassing him. Either doesn't bring me closer to where I want to get.

I don't have any other way of contacting Courtney. This was the plan. The plan that was supposed to work, despite how many mixed feelings I had about it at times. But now we're here. . . And I'm starting to feel like this whole crazy idea of coming up here and tracking the Chapel's down was just that – fucking crazy.