8 | phone calls, goodbyes and giving up

8|

8|

phone calls, goodbyes and giving up

FOR A FEW SECONDS, the other side of the line goes completely quiet.

I'm barely grasping what's happening, but I'm growing more and more irritated with each second that passes. He needs to hurry the fuck up, otherwise breaking into this office wasn't worth shit.

Suddenly, a though strikes me, causing a panicked shiver run down my spine. Did that fucker hang up on me? No. No, he wouldn't. . .

I'm nearly pushing the device away from my ear to check the screen, when his laughter bursts out. "Are you fucking serious?"

His voice is off, and something about it chills me. I've never been friends with Bishop, mostly, because the guy and I don't have much to talk about, but we haven't really had any problems either. If I paid, he was always eager to deliver. That's just how it's always been.

Perhaps, that's why I'm not getting the sudden change in his demeanor. "What? Why wouldn't I be?"

Another wave of laughter hits my ear. "You're unbelievable, dude." He stays silent for a moment, and I swear that if he was in front of me, I could see him shaking his blond head. "I know you've been, in like, an accident, and I would pity you enough to give you your usual after everything . . . but you're forgetting we're not mates anymore. And even I am not that stupid to let myself get fucked over for you again."

His words don't make any sense. Fucked over for me again? After everything? What the hell is he talking about?

I open my mouth to ask him just that, but before I get the chance to, the line goes dead. That little . . .

Enraged, I dial him again, but of course he doesn't pick up.

I try again and again and again and again and again .  . . until I end up slumped on the ground, my back against the side of my father's desk.

Fuck. What the fuck am I going to do now? Bishop was my only chance at getting the sliver of peace I desperately need right now, and now that he's out of option . . .

The loud slam of the door snaps me out of my thoughts, mere seconds before I hear the footsteps bounce of the walls of the hallway.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck.

I'm so fucked.

I keep still, not daring to breathe as the steps get louder, knowing that there's no damn way I'm going to be able to make it out of here without bumping into my prick of a father now.

He's going to check my room, most likely, even though he knows that I couldn't have gone anywhere since he ensured that by locking my windows, most likely all the other windows I could have a reach to as well, not to mention the main door and the alarm system inside the house that would notify him of my intentions the second I decided to open the door and escape--