28 we don't get to run away from it the way he does

I get to school late again

I get to school late again. Mrs. Williams is already halfway through with the Lit class,which is my second class of the day,  but she doesn't comment anything as I slip inside and take a seat in the back of the room. She definitely notices my tardiness though, it would be impossible not to, her gaze lingering in my direction for a few seconds. 

Not that I'm paying much attention to anything around me. I'm already regretting I didn't skip school today altogether, just like Bishop did. He took nearly an hour to get back downstairs, fresh out of the shower from what I could tell based on his wet hair, soapy smell and a change of shirt, although he wasn't in the mood for talking to either Sarah or me, nor eating much. He just fixed himself a quick bowl of cereals with milk and seemed to be eating it excruciatingly slowly, poking the contents around with the tip of his spoon. I didn't feel like pressuring him at that particular moment but I needed to get to school and he was the one that was supposed to drive all three of us. So I waited and waited and waited, until the bomb dropped and he told me he didn't feel like attending today and practically forced me to take his car keys because no, he wasn't changing his mind. 

I wish I could do the same but that wasn't an option. I can only skip so many times without screwing myself over, and I certainly don't have the privilege of having my guardian write me a signed note that would excuse me considering my guardian isn't currently in the picture. Or rather, hasn't been for weeks. 

I scrawl squares and circles and whatever else comes to mind into my notepad for the reminder of the class just get my mind off things but nothing seems to be enough to distract me. Distract me from the reality where I sent Collin a text -- one last night after my talk with Bishop, and one this morning before I got to school, simply writing: i'm here if you need anything and then the morning one: collin?  -- and hadn't gotten a reply. I don't want to dwell on it because I know he's most likely just dealing with the whole Roger situation but we did have sex last night and not getting any responses from him feels like a punch to the gut. Could he --? No. He didn't do it for the Shameless Virginity Games... He wouldn't. I admit it wasn't the most romantic way for two people to have sex, with tears and unexpressed sadness and desperation still clinging to both of us, on top of it happening on a roof at the Highland High natatorium, but it was genuine. I know it was. Besides, I never really cared for romance. Not sure I believe in it either. There's nothing romantic about the crucial reality. 

"Aspen, can I have a word with you?" 

Somehow, the bell has already rung, proclaiming the class to be dismissed. The question comes from no one other than Mrs. Williams, who is collecting together her scattered things, mostly papers and books, from the table in the front while the rest of my classmates files out of the room. Except me and Tim, whom I notice in my periphery vision, though that's as far as I go with the acknowledgement. 

Unsure, I stand up, shoving my notepad and pen inside my backpack before zipping it and slinging it over my shoulder. Then I make my way to her, waiting for the bomb to drop. I know what's this about. It's not the first time around I've been late to her class but I'd be naive to think she's going to let it slip time after time. I could practically ask her for the detention slip right away and save us both some time because that's exactly where this is going.