prologue

"Did you see the way she was looking at ya, man?"

Adam nudges my shoulder with his, the laugh shaking his entire body almost causing him to stumble forward.

It's dark outside, possibly some time after, or around twelve, doesn't really matter, and there's a brief thought crossing the back of my mind that's trying to reason with me about the fact I should've been home already. But what? I'm fifteen and it's not like Mom's going to be home to check on me anyway. Dad stopped giving a shit long time ago, everyone knows where, or with who is he tangled up with tonight, and nothing, not even that asshole of a father, or the nagging thought of my stupid curfew can erase this feeling of pure joy that's liquefying my insides.

Adam is here, right beside me, and I couldn't have asked for a better night than this one. We're fucking alive, bursting with life, happiness, laughter. Our heads messy but so, so content and vivid.

"You're just imagining things, bro." I elbow him back, grinning like an idiot because tonight is just that fucking awesome. "That shit's messing with your common sense."

"Cocaine does that, Adamms." He snorts flatly, his hand disappearing in the pocket of his jacket. "This shit?" He holds up the little, familiar bottle, shaking it. "This shit only makes you feel like a fucking hero."

I roll my eyes at him, laughing, watching his fingers unscrew the bottle faster than I can blink. He reaches inside then, rolling the two tiny blue pills of Valium between his thumb and index finger before popping them both inside his mouth. Satisfied, with a wide grin plastered across his face, he throws the bottle at me, fingers fumbling for some more purpose inside his jacket pocket.

We're almost at Adam's fancy Lamborgini now, and part of me, the one dedicated to my supposed conscience is trying to convince my brain to throw the bottle back at him because I already had two 10 miligram ones tonight but I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't take one more. I mean . . . it's just one fucking pill. If two of them can have this thrilling, joyous effect on me, then I want fucking more of it.

Adam has an already lit joint pushed between his lips when I feel the familiarity start to melt under my tongue. I shove the bottle inside my pocket and face him, just in time to have him puff the earthy scent in my face. "'kay, lover boy. Let's not change the topic, though." Taking the joint from him, I silently brace myself for what's to come. "We should be celebrating your great ingress into the men world right now."