[44] Knife Fight (Autumn Fest Part 3)

Start from the beginning

Wraith.  A deserving moniker bestowed upon him by his Dark Elf masters.  The ones who dragged him from the gutters of Corfé as a lad and enslaved him to work their mines for iron to feed their war machine. 

He heard their voices clearly now and moved a bit closer for a listen. 

"<No, Fitts.  You return.  Tell Lord Vöhl of location.  We close.  From here, he find Stones.  You must return in case we fail.>"

"<Hashasi-asal tenets...quad need for sure kill.>"

"<Not this time, brother.  Think big mission.>"

"<As you command.>"

The Stones...Lord Vöhl.  Wesley's mind worked quickly and his reactions churned even faster.  He slid Ravenwing ever so carefully from under his tunic.  He hurled the magical blade and cursed the whirring noise as it sailed through the night air.  It lodged into the escaping Hobgoblin's thigh, driving through to the hilt.  He assumed these Hashasi-asal wore chain vests just as they used to so many years ago.  The magical blade returned to his hand as always.   

"<Why leave?>" asked Wess in perfect Chiv-na-asal.  "<Fun here now.>"  He focused on his breathing as he waited for a response.

Many heartbeats passed.

"<Identify,>" said the voice.

The Faeling recognized the voice from the ambush. 

It all makes sense now, he thought.  How the Hobgoblin moved and cut similar to Wesley's own style, but with much more jagged arcs and jabs. 

Wesley's memories came in waves.  He'd always heard his life would flash before him when he died.  Once a Corfé street rat, starving on the streets, he was kidnapped by the Dark Elves to work the mines for iron ore—feed their war machine.  As slaves fell to his left and right from exhaustion, Wess chose to join the front line soldiers and battle the Dark Elf's enemy.  He'd rather die fighting than die from swinging a pick. 

Wess said, "<Mouse to slave, slave to soldier, soldier to Hashasi-asal.>"

"<Same me...same us,>" replied the Hobgoblin.  He held a fist up, keeping his men in position.  Then he twisted his fingers into impossible positions.  The silent hand sign of the Hashasi-asal.

Wess returned the sign.  When the Dark Elves found out the skill of their new Faeling, they immediately put him into the secretive dark branch infamous for spying and assassination.  They honed Wesley's natural talent for killing to surgical precision and he slayed many Dwarf enemies of his masters to please them.

"<Join quad,>" said the leader.  "<Many Hashasi-asal brothers live.>"

Wess shook his head.  "<No.  New brothers.>"

"<Join, or fight quad.  One not fight four and win.>"

Wess considered this.  It rang true, but the Hobgoblin he just injured looked badly hurt. Another of the quad would have to deliver the Standing Stone's location as their fight began...to complete the mission. 

No.

It would only take one Hashasi-asal to locate a place such as this.  This quad had darker plans.  The Hashasi-asal sought blood this night. 

But what? Wess wondered.  He spun his blade. A killing no doubt.

He thought of running, trying to signal the Laquarrin Elves and warn Green Haven.  He shook off the idea as he knew they would cut him down once he turned his back.