Getting help? part 2

1981

1981

“Debra, you've been to a rehabilitation program once before, do you want to talk about that? About why you returned?” The group had gone all around and it was my turn to speak again.

"It's a long story-"

“Please tell us, you can't leave us hanging.” Everyone agreed to a woman named Patricia. I nodded thinking about where to start.

I learned to forgive myself the way God would have forgiven me for missing out on my mother's funeral, for lying, and doing drugs. The center helped me get clean and things were great, too great if I'm honest. I was back in the studio working on the finishing touches of our third album.

“This is gonna be where the ad-libs will come in- I don't like that shit in the middle-”

“Well, you play the guitar then-”

“Maybe I will!” Harry took his guitar and got into the booth.

I laid on the couch of the studio and watched as one of the producer's friends looked at me. I had met him for only a minute once before and for some reason, the producer kept inviting him in here. I guess he had a good ear for the sound, but I didn't like him being here at first. He usually sided with Harry’s ideas so Harry liked him.

I decided to get to know him, walking over to sit beside him as he watched Harry play the guitar. “He's great huh?” he nodded. “Sorry I didn't catch your name.”

“Oh it's Andrew, sorry I didn't want to disturb you, you seemed pretty calm on the couch.” he smiled at me.

“I'm Debra.” We shook hands.

Andrew and I began talking and turned out we had some things in common. Both of us were from the same suburb, although he was a bit older than me, so our paths never really crossed. He had left home when he was young as well and moved to the city with our producer where he began making music with him.

Harry and I had been a lot better since I had come back originally and the music was practically writing itself.

When the album was released we had a party planned at our home and the guys would all obviously be there, along with all of our friends and musicians we had worked with or met over the past few years.

I wore this long dress with these pretty beads all over the purple material, Harry wore a suit, which was rare for Harry, even if he looked super handsome in suits.

Along the guests was Andrew, who I had become rather good friends with during this entire time we worked. He joined us for dinner a few times and I had taken a liking to him- we all did. I went into this project with a broken spirit and he really brought me up when it came to how my voice sounded. He was the everyday hype man I needed to get through all the times I wanted to give up.