are you okay?

December 1972

December 1972

Rock music was amazing.

It had fed my soul in a way that my mother's 'tasteful' music and church couldn't. Every day I began taking a 'walk' to get some exercise, but I would end up walking down the street and taking a sharp turn to where the record shop was.

Scotty was the owner's name and had quickly become my friend, telling me everything I needed to know about music and the history of rock and roll. He would talk while I looked through the magazines he had of bands and rock. It had become an obsession of mine rather quickly. I sat down looking at a group in a magazine.

There was a man on a stage who was upside down and singing. He was very thin and had long hair. "Who is this?" He smiled switching records and turning quickly to see.

 "Who is this?" He smiled switching records and turning quickly to see

"The band's name is The Stooges, that's Iggy." I nodded slowly. "They're getting rather popular, have a few albums out." I pushed a strand of hair out of my face as I looked at all the articles on music.

"I wish I looked like her." I pointed to a rocked-out girl on a photo. She had short black hair and wore a leather jacket.

Scotty sighed and shook his head. "Don't follow the crowd kid, be you, or a new version of yourself that doesn't follow in the steps of these people. Don't be the next Suzi Quatro, be the first Debra May." I smiled looking at the woman in the magazine.

"I hate my name, Debra sounds like a square." He chuckled, shaking his head to what sounded like another Beatles album. Scotty was convinced they'd get back together but I wasn't too sure from what he's told me.

"I like Debbie, sounds cool." He winked at me walking across the store to get another stack of records. A few people came in and bought some stuff, mostly guys who gave me weird looks.

I began noticing that Scotty had a bit of a limp and walked funny. I didn't want to ask him what was wrong but I could never shut up. "Hey Scotty, what happened to your leg?" He chuckled.

"Vietnam got shot and uh...well, I have nerve damage." I frowned. "Don't worry kid, that war has to stop eventually." I nodded slowly looking at the time. My eyes widened and I realized I had been here much longer than planned. I quickly grabbed my coat and my gloves and ran home in the snow towards my house.