A party and Deb?

February 1973

February 1973

"Yeah, I'm looking for a Jules Meyer?" I stood inside of a payphone in Manhattan near the subway trying to get into contact with a manager who had been signing up a bunch of trash bands.

Right up our alley.

"Yeah, I'll hold." I put in another dime and turned to see a man in a suit and briefcase waiting for me to move. I turned my head to him and he gave me a look, poking his watch. "I'm gonna be a while."

"Well I don't have time, I need to use the phone. Some of us actually have work to go to." He crossed his arms.

"Well, then fucking go to your job in your fancy office. There's a fucking booth down the street you fucking pig looking, bitch!" I pointed to him.

"I like this one, you dirty fucking hippie!" I rolled my eyes and shut the door of the booth listening to the other side.

"Hello, are you still there?" The voice said on the other side.

"Yeah still waiting." A loud pounding behind me made me lift up my middle finger at the man behind me.

"Listen, Mr. Meyers says he's not taking new talent in right now. I'm sorry." I sighed.

"If he could just hear some of our work-" The line went dead and I quickly placed it back on the hook and was met by another obnoxious fist hitting the glass. I turned slowly and the man looked red in the face. I opened the door and looked him dead in the eye, pulling off the phone from the hook and ripping it out of the phone box. He gasped staring at me as I handed it to him. "All yours man." I walked past him and down to the subway to take the train home.

It felt as if the last few months we took ten steps back, or in this case back at square one

It felt as if the last few months we took ten steps back, or in this case back at square one. We hadn't rehearsed in a few weeks and had no gigs lined up.

I got to Mitch, Billie, and my apartment and walked in to find them jamming. I sat down on the couch and sighed. "Tough day at the office huh dear?" Mitch joked.

"I'm tired of being broke and having to wash dishes down at the restaurant. It's bullshit!" The guys turned to me giving me a look of agreement. "We need to do something, find a new lead singer," I said quietly.