bunny ears?

I pulled my hair out of rollers, looking at myself in the mirror

I pulled my hair out of rollers, looking at myself in the mirror. I didn't own any makeup or cute party clothes like in the magazines I read. Sighing at my appearance and my boring brown hair, I pushed it back into a ponytail.

I couldn't go to this party, my mother would be very angry to know that I was in the city. I sighed again covering my face when I heard a knock at my door.

It opened and my mother stood there looking at me. "What are you doing?" I looked down at the hot rollers and thought of a lie.

"I was practicing some looks for the choir photos." She smiled gently.

"Oh, darling, I'm so happy you're trying to change up your appearance a bit." I nodded slowly feeling all bit annoyed at her choice of words. "Come down and watch some television with me." I looked at the time and knew that Harry would be at the corner soon.

"Actually I think I'm going to go to bed early, I'm very tired." She looked a bit upset but agreed nonetheless.

"Alright then, well I'll see you in the morning then." I watched as she walked out, waiting a minute to open the door slowly to listen to the television downstairs. As soon as I heard Sonny and Cher, my mother's weakness, I closed the door and went over to my bed to place some clothes underneath the blankets to make it look like I was under there.

I grabbed my wallet, along with my purse, and opened my window carefully. It was dark out so I quickly made it down to the bottom floor practically running out of the neighborhood to the corner.

I had just snuck out for the first time. A rush of adrenaline went through me and I began laughing.

I waited there for a while and began to think that maybe Harry wouldn't show up. Perhaps he forgot and was already at this party. But then lights flickered and a familiar car pulled up at the corner.

I gulped as a man with longer hair than Harry's got out of the car and waved me over. I looked around and stood up. "Hey, Debbie right?" I nodded. "Harry's in the car." He pointed.

I walked over and Harry opened his door and stepped out to look at me. He was dressed up in red clothes with a lightning bolt painted on his face like that of David Bowie.

"Hop in love, this is Mitch and the pothead in the back is Billie with his friend Lana." I walked over and Mitch pointed at my shoes.

"Those are rad." I looked down at the shoes I had stolen from my mothers closet and smiled.

"Thanks." I got in the car and slid all the way over to Harry as Mitch got in and closed the door. Harry began driving and I didn't say anything as the guys talked while Billie and Lana kissed in the back seat.

"Nervous?" Harry asked me.

"I've never snuck out before, but it's not as hard as I thought it would be." He chuckled putting an arm behind my head and pulling me into his side. The girl behind me pulled away from Billie long enough to lean forward and put her hand out.